Monday, June 13, 2005

Sucky Newspaper and their sneaky gimmicks

About 6 months ago My husband signed up to get Sunday delivery of the Toronto Sun.
We prepaid it, partly because I hate getting billed for stuff like that, and partly because they little delivery boy that goes door to door has to do twice as much work to collect payment, and i don't usually have cash on me when they come a knockin' on my door.
Anyway - when Chris signed up for this, he explicitly asked the guy whether they would continue sending it to us after the subscription ran out, because we didn't want that. He assured us that we would get a notice of our subscription running out, and would have to renew it to have delivery continue.
Sure enough, a few weeks ago (or is it months? Time stands still sometimes....) but we got the notice that our subscription was going to run out and now was the time to renew so as not to miss another fabulous edition of the Sunday Sun. Since Chris only ordered it because they have Bloom County in the colour comics section, and it hasn't been nearly as amusing as he thought it would be, we decided to let the subscription run out.

Last week - cute little paperboy comes to the door telling me I owe 8.75 for the Sun.
Oh no sweetie, I tell him - We prepaid our subscription.
He agrees to go back and find out from his boss, and I don't hear from him again.

June 11th we get a paper, and I say to Chris - "Isn't this supposed to have run out by now?"
Chris thought it was the end of May, and so I decide to call up and find out why we're still getting this newspaper.

"Hi, I'm wondering if you can tell me when my subscription runs out"
"Sure, give me your phone number and I'll look it up"
I give me number, and she replies with
"You're on per paper billing since May the 8th"
"Hmmm" I say. "I didn't renew my subscription, can you tell me why I'm still recieving a paper?"
"Well, when your subscription runs out, it keeps going unless you call and cancel it"
"But I didn't sign up for negative option billing"
"Well thats how it works"
"But I specifically did not want to do that, that is why we prepaid it, and didn't renew"
"Well thats how it works"
"Well, I would like to not recieve your paper anymore then"
"Well, we can cancel it for you"
"Great, and I won't be paying for any of those papers that I didn't ask for either"

Grrrrr - I absolutely HATE negative option billing. WHy should the onus be put on me to STOP something I am getting unsolicited and then be billed for it?
I feel like sending the Sun a bill for reading their newspaper and finding all the spelling and grammatical errors in it, and then telling them, Hey, you should have told me that you DIDN'T want me to proofread your paper....

So we'll see if I actually get a bill - in which case they will hear from me and I won't be nearly as polite as I was today.
I feel bad for the little paperboy though. He's about 10. It's not really his problem if I'm having a dispute with the paper company, yet he is doing all the work of collecting or at least trying to collect.

The sun sucks! Down with negative option billing!!

No comments: