Thursday, June 23, 2005

Parks and Hummers and Ice cream cones....

Heavens, I've not posted in a few days.
Where have I been? I've been enjoying the kids!
No really, I have. And there hasn't been much to say...
The weather has been sunny and gorgeous, not too hot, so I've been enjoying the kids outside.
We've gone to the park every day this week so far, and today we're going to the community pool. It doesn't 'seem' like we've done a whole lot, but they must feel like I've been keeping them busy because today Duncan said "Today we're going to......" and then he paused - waiting for me to fill in the blank. He's come to expect some sort of outing or entertainment now.
Gone are the days where we sit at home, and do nothing but eat popsicles in the backyard - no he wants to GO somewhere, or DO something out of the realm of the ordinary.
I don't blame him. It's tough to be couped up in the house all winter long, and then have only occasional periods of freedom. Now that it's nice - just about everyday - he has exhausted his supply of Dora videos, and craves stimulation.

I have to say, that boys have an incredible amount of energy to begin with, and mine seem to be particularly energetic - Where do they get that from?
Yesterday at the park, there was another little boy there who had also turned 4 recently.
His name was Mason, and he and Duncan seemed to hit it off right from the start.
We were already at the park when Mason came driving up in his pint sized Hummer - Both my boys stared with gobsmacked expressions on their faces that this kid could DRIVE - for 'REAL'.
I don't think I'd ever seen jealousy in my kids before, but there is was, plain as day, with Matthew drooling all over it - touching the seats, itching to take it for a ride.
Mason's dad offered to let him sit in it, but he didn't want to - just for looking I guess.

Anyway, Duncan was running around the park (literally) and Mason took off after him. They ran and they ran. and then they ran some more. Eventually, there was a 'train' of about 4 or 5 kids just running. They thought it was fun - until they got tired. Matthew got bored first, and came over to investigate the now silent Hummer again. Then the girls dropped off to go play on the slides - But Duncan and Mason ran. Duncan had his Dash shirt on, and feels like he can run extra fast and long with it. Eventually Mason faltered. This made Duncan run even faster - as if to prove that no kid with a Hummer was going to beat him! He turned the speed UP, with Mason behind him yelling "stop, stop". My kid's gonna be a runner I think. He didn't even break a sweat - or lose a breath. oh to be 4 again and have that kind of endurance.

Getting the boys OUT of the park is another feat. They have no problem being good to go to the park - even cleaning their rooms up, and listening to mommy for a whole 30 minutes as the prelude to the park begins. But when it's time to come home - Matthew turns into the evil run-away boy. He will run onto the street, he will run over the hill, he will run everywhere except in the direction of the bike trailer. Herding Duncan is a bit easier, provided I promise to look for the ice cream truck. So finally get them both loaded and head for home. No ice cream truck in sight and Duncan flips out as we turn down our street "No no, we can't go home, go that way go that way - find the ice cream truck". I have assured him that we can hear the ice cream truck from 15 streets away if it is remotely close to our area, so evidently it is not around, and we are going home. Duncan is convinced the ice cream truck is close at hand - just one street over.
He fumes as I turn into the driveway and put the bikes in the garage. He throws a tantrum when I make him go in the house.
I wonder - is it worth it? Why do I take them to the park, when it is such a hassle to get them back home again? But then I realize why, because left at home the boys fight! At the park they get out all their energy, when they are home, they are too exhausted to fight. 2 Dora episodes later and Duncan is snoozing on the floor. He can fall asleep in front of the tv easily. Matthew needs movement to fall asleep - either a car, or rocking or bouncing in the exersaucer (yes he still climbs in and bounces in there) .
Currently they are upstairs having a bath - I promised them a trip to the pool today, but am rethinking the idea as they are taunting their baby brother and making hm cry....
The pool was great last time, except for Matthew running - still, it made them tired and more cooperative to taking a nap when we got home.
I think I'll take them to the pool.....

1 comment:

The other me said...

DO you stare and try and try to remember that running nowhere for hours thing? Did we EVER do it? Isaac adds an extra element in that he stops every now and then to climb a wall or six....waiting outside nursery toay he truly WAS spiderman while a popular BIG 4 year old tried his darndest to do it and just kept saying "but I'm FOUR why can't I DO THAT?" Aha! my Isaac is spiderman that's why!