Thursday, June 16, 2005

The aftermath

Well, after yesterdays post, I'm still flying high.

Today I've been brought down to earth.

I was explaining to Chris more about the assessment, and how the pyschologist would ask Matthew questions to determine his understanding of concepts like big/little etc.
So she asked him "Whats bigger, a grape or a watermelon?"

He responded with "a watermelon" so I was showing off to Chris this morning.....

"Matthew - whats bigger, a watermelon or a grape?"
"A grape" he says.......

So much for understanding.

Chris tried it next:

"Matthew,whats bigger, a car or a house?"
"A house"
"Good job"

me: "Matthew, whats bigger, a house or a car?"
"A CAR!!!!!" he yelled out gleefully....
"No" screams Duncan jumping out from somewhere, "a house is bigger".

OK, so my 4 yr old can visualize and determine which is bigger, but Matthew always repeats the last thing he heard.
grrrrrr
I wish I'd thought to have the psychologist rephrase the question, but really, shouldn't a GOOD psychologist really test, and not base their findings on the answer to one question, which could be a random lucky guess for all they know....

Anyway - we determined through our OWN testing system, that he can accurately tell you what object is bigger if it is sitting in front of him - I will continue with my own testing and therapy....

Feeling less confident now.

Why is this so hard? All I want is for my boy not to struggle in school.
Oh and a few million dollars LOL - I know they say money doesn't buy happiness, but I already have happiness - What I don't have is my mortgage paid off, and money could certainly buy that!

3 comments:

The other me said...

My dad relied upon this very thing when we were growing up and brags about it even to this day.."Helen, would you like Milk, Juice or Water? " Water"
Would you like a glass, cup or jam jar" Jam Jar"

"would you like it Now, later or never"
"Never" Oh how he would simply HOOT with laughter...and still does! It works on all small children and any professional that doesn't know that should be shut in a room with 73 hungry, tired toddlers for a minimum of 3 hours.
Matthew is fabulous and I will guaranteed whoever assessed him yesterday was checking much more than those answers....
Guess what Isaac's speech therapist never asks him to speak! How bizarre would that seem? It's only after several weeks of watching her at work that I see she actually knows what she is doing and it bloody well works!! I love Belafy ( Beverley) and I am pretty sure that Matthews DR knew just what s/he was doing too.

Jenn said...

Thanks Helen - You have set my mind at ease about that whole thing.
I'm sure they were testing much more, especially since she spoke to me the whole time, and only asked him a handful of questions LOL - Of course she is learning much more through simple observation. Ok, feeling better now again :)

Julie Q said...

I think that is normal Jenn. My kids (the older ones) used to love to play that game with Zachary. He always said the last thing they offered him. Even to tease each other. For example, do you love Eddie or Hanna or better and he'd say of course Hanna. :)