Friday, June 10, 2005

so where are the crayons now?

It is hot outside today - like really really hot. Sometimes I think we have the dumbest weather - just last month the boys needed hats and coats and then almost overnight we have weather that could melt crayons outside.
speaking of crayons, since it IS so hot outside, and I am enjoying our oh so clever investment from last year of air conditioning, I thought I would let the kids colour for a bit. They love being outside, but with the humidex at 40 degrees Celcius (thats over 100F) I don't want them getting heatstroke, or frying their brains out - they can do that in front of the TV.
So where was I? Oh yeah, crayons.
Matthew (my almost 3 yr old) LOVES crayons. He likes to eat them, stick them up his nose, and colour on almost everything in sight, except for paper.
Duncan is 4 and will colour on paper for about 2 minutes before he gets distracted and starts peeling the paper off the crayons. They are all in a big bucket which he took and hid behind the big green chair in the living room, peeling paper. I left him to his own devices - so what if he doesn't like paper on his crayons - let him peel them - they are his crayons; a birthday gift from one of his little friends (he got the BIG box with 64 colours; you know the one that we always wanted when we were little, but got that little 12 pack instead). This one has colours like "peach" and "marigold" and "apricot" - so much more descriptive than the blue/red/yellow in the smaller packs.
Flash forward 30 minutes and I am in the family room happily encouraging my youngest to take a few wobbly steps towards me - don't ask me why I'm encouraging more mobility when I can barely keep up with 2 toddlers, how will I keep up with 3 running me ragged? Nevertheless, it's a fun thing to witness the look of exhiliration when a little one realizes they are standing on their own two feet without support, and then they lunge forward into my outstretched arms laughing with glee. I am thinking it's a great day; we had company over for lunch and the kids played with their friend Sarah (also 4) while us moms chatted inside and compared our babies - My great big boy and her little petite girl only 7 wks apart.
Of course, now that our friends have gone home, there are no distractions, and my boys can concentrate fully on the mischief they are famous for getting into....
So I'm in the family room playing with my baby, and Matthew comes in with a bucket of very soggy crayons telling me that "they don't work anymore".
Turns out he's been flushing them down the toilet. The pack of 64 has been whittled down to roughly 56-1/2 very wet crayons. Of course he won't admit that he's been putting them in the toilet, although upon investigation of the bathroom, it doesn't take a forensic scientist to see the water everywhere and realize that someone has been playing in the toilet .
"Matthew did you put the crayons in the toilet?" I ask
"No - they're in the plunger"
Matthew for all his mischief really does not know how to lie very well at all when pressed, so it seems we've lost a few good colours down the loo. He must have flushed them - realized the error of his ways, and tried to "Plunge" them back.
Do crayons clog up a toilet? I guess I'll find out.

Matthew is currently bugging me for chocolate milk; Duncan has mercifully flaked out and fallen asleep in front of the TV watching Nemo, and Joey, my sweet Joey is still practicing his wobbly steps much to my delight.

My husband has called and is on his way home - YAY!

1 comment:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

That boy is just brilliant! The plunger! Sarah wouldn't even know where to find it much less how to use it! He amazes me!

And WTG Joey on the steps!!! You're such a big boy!!!!

Hugs

Julie