Every morning I wake up.
No, it's more like I am woken up by what sounds like a herd of wildebeest prancing across the African Serengeti, but what is in actuality, a 3 and 4 yr old fighting over who gets the Lincoln Navigator remote control car, mixed in with them pretending to be Buzz Lightyear and leaping off the couches and landing with a resounding thud on the family room floor.
This general hub-bub occurs at the same time every day. 6:30am.
I am gleefully looking forward to the time change, when we can set our clocks forward an hour, and this daily chaotic ritual will happen at 7:30 instead.
April 2nd can not come soon enough. One more week. One more week.
It is becoming my mantra.
get through one more week. then things will improve. They will. They have to.
One night this week Duncan decided at 3 minutes before his bedtime that we should make cookies. I didn't have the ingredients to make cookies (namely, a prepackaged cookie mix that you add oil and an egg to), so I pacified him with a promise that we would make cookies on Friday - since he didnt have school that day, and it would be a fun thing for us to do.
By golly, it worked, and the boy went to bed, secure in the knowledge that mummy does keep her promises, and the new day would dawn with the baking of fresh homemade cookies.
Of course this meant that after they were all asleep, I would have to head out to get the cookie making ingredients.
We do have 24 hour grocery stores here - they are more expensive, so I try not to shop there unless I am desperate for cheese at 2am which admittedly is not all that often. I decided to go to Walmart instead.
Our Walmarts here are not 24 hr like they are in the States, thus, I knew, leaving at 9:40pm that I'd have to hustle my buns, as Walmart closes at 10pm.
I made it - I found my cake mix for 97cents, so I bought 2, and wandered around to the Easter displays where they have chocolate EVERYTHING. Chocolate Doras, Chocolate Spongebobs, Homer Simpson, even King Kong. There's no way I can look at that stuff during the day when the kids are with me, so I thoroughly enjoyed just looking at all the elaborate chocolates where the packaging makes up half the cost (and believe me, you do pay for that pretty wasteful packaging). I came home without succumbing to temptation - oh I really wanted to buy that chocolate King Kong.
Kids were up as usual the next morning, and by the time I struggled downstairs - I was greeted by my beloved boys, not with a "good morning mum" but by "It's tomorrow, can we make chocolate chip cookies now"
A furtive glance at the clock on the stove told me that it was 7:37am.
Too early for baking in my opinion.
I made him wait until 9:00am
the package indicates that there is enough to make 3 dozen cookies.
this is of course if they are microscopic in size. They mean 3 dozen cookies the size of a dime. Little teaspoons (as suggested) yielded almost 2 dozen. That's not so bad really, although the blatent lie on the front of the package had me somewhat annoyed - along with their pictured "serving suggestion" which is a cookie on a plate. Thanks. I would never have thought to put it on a plate.
by 9:30 we had 2 dozen (little) cookies.
by 9:40 we had 1 dozen (little) cookies.
ok, what to do with the rest of the day - look at the clock, 9:43am. Why does the day go so slow but when they are in school it goes by so fast, and I find myself looking at the clock to see that it's 10 to 3 and time to make a school pickup run!
I love being a mom, and I love being able to stay home with them, but 5 years is taking it's toll on me. They bicker and fight and push my buttons, whining for something every minute of the day. Then they fall asleep and they look so angelic and sweet that it's hard to believe that it took me 3 days to get this post finished for all the interruptions!
Serenity now! Serenity NOW!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
I've been doing it TWENTY YEARS!!! TWENTY?!?!? It flies, truly it does. I thought of you yesterday when my Isaac and I were out and walked quite quickly past a cellphone shop, not stopping but Isaac said " Upside down, ugh one was upside down" Of course that made me stop , walk backwards to the shop window, check it out and yes, right there, smack bang in the middle of a display with about 20 phones, was a teeny tiny mobile phone UPSIDE DOWN. I bet your boys would have spotted it too!
Oh, I have to agree with Helen. It went by so fast for me too. That is one reason I had Zachary. :)
I do understand your feelings though Jenn. It is hard. Good luck with the time change, I hope it works in your favor. :)
Jenn, I can only imagine how tough it must be sometimes with 3 boys, and being home full time. Although working as well is tiring and exhausting in a different way!
I hope you get what you want when the time changes. DLS just ended here and I'm on the other end of the spectrum, cursing the fact that my kids now wake at 6.30 each day instead of 7.30 or 8!!
The other me - Funny Helen, I thought of YOU yesterday when Matthew was pushing that darn fridge phonic thing - A-A-A-A-A-A-A and I would have welcomed the less annoying "The A says A, every letter makes a sound the A says A" but was instead treated to the repeated A-A-A-A-A-A.
20 years! You are my hero!
Julie Q - thanks, I know it will go by fast - and we will not have that afterthought so I have to enjoy them now LOL. The time change usually makes things easier. 6 more days! ;)
Hannah - For some reason, the time change in the fall doesn't do too much to them, and it's more of a gradual shift - but the spring change always resets them overnight more to my schedule :) Besides, for me the fall will bring wonderful things - Matthew starts Kindergarten - woohoo!!! Then I'll just have the baby, who's not really a baby anymore, but we shall have all day for me to spoil him and take him shopping!
I had to LOL at the 'serving suggestion'! That's too funny!
Oh dear.. please tell me you didn't write 6:30.. 6 freaking thirty??? as in before 7!!!! Oh man say it ain't so.. that's just wrong on SO many levels.
HUGS
And Jon does the A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A ....... thing too. So I think of you BOTH regularly! I hope I can be as good at this as you two are.
I resolved today to be more patient with him. I'll let you know how it goes.
I hate the time change. No matter which one it is. Because even though now they'll be waking up at 7:30...but we still have to be out of the house at 8:15!!
Never works for me :)
You're such a great Mom Jenn.
~Lisa~
You are such an awesome mom! My mother would have never run out to get cookie mix in order to keep a promise.
Somehow a chocolate King Kong just seems like something a weirdo would eat...but a chocolate race car now that is another deal...heck I've eaten two this week.
Have I ever told you that I just ADORE you?!
I related to every single little thing you wrote! The 6:30 am. The evening run to the store for the cookie mix (mine was for a donut a couple of nights ago). The elaborate chocolates. The teeny cookies. The love/hate relationship with being a SAHM.
Keep writing. I'm absorbing like a sponge and feeling a bit less crazy in this world.
Do we live in the same house?
I have one kid who is ALWAYS up BEFORE 6:00. Except one or two days a month. And on those days, the kid who ALWAYS sleeps until 6:30 or 7:00 gets up before six in his brother's place.
Like before they go to bed they say, "Look, SOMEONE has to make sure Mama doesn't get enough sleep and feels crabby immediately upon waking... I did it all week, it's your turn!"
I wonder if DLS will help me? I hadn't thought of it, but you give me hope!
I agree.
You are such a good momma though!
I would have just bought the prepackages squareshaped cookie dough, plopped em on a sheet and called us even.
YOU ROCK!
I tell you what running into the bathroom and locking the door worls for some alone time. (That is until all falls quiet and you have to go see why)
((HUGS))
ROTFL - I loved your opening line. African Serengeti. LOL... what imagery!
Jenn, I think you sound like an awesome mom. None of us are saints and the little ones can get on all of our nerves at times.
Sounds like it's time for a visit to your hunka-hunka masseuse!
Post a Comment