Last week I gave Duncan a haircut - He was pretty keen to get one - especially when I said he could stay up a little later than his brothers, and we made an evening out of it. He sits very well for 'the tickle machine' and I was pleased that he no longer looked like a scraggly ragamuffin.
Matthew is a different story. His hair is just plain wonky and grows in every direction. Add to this that it is not straight enough to lie flat, and not curly enough to be cute, he's got wavy wonky hair that just looks messy and permanent bedhead unless it is 1/4 of an inch long all over. I should add that Matthew has enough sensory issues that a haircut is a major event for him, and he hasn't had one since his nursery school picture day last September. As you can imagine - it was starting to look even more crazy than usual, so when I suggested he stay up late one night for a haircut - he staunchly refused.
For 2 weeks now, I've been trying to persuade the boy that haircuts are fun, and wouldn't he like to look as dapper and sharp as his big brother, and after 2 weeks of cajoling and bribes, he stubbornly refuses to let us near him with the hair clippers.
that is until Joey got a haircut.
Joey is not even 2, and I guess Matthew felt that if Joey could do it, he might be brave enough to try it - if lollipops were involved and he could watch Dora the Explorer while getting his hair cut.
We had to wait until Joey was done first - I had given Joey his first haircut in the summer, and by now, it looked like he had grown a hair helmet, and his head looked huge.
He was absolutely an angel the first time we cut his hair, leading me to think (falsely) that this time would be no different.
I was wrong - oh so wrong.
He did not want to sit.
He did watch Dora, but the moment those clippers came near he would turn his head.
He turned and swatted and did everything he could think of to prevent me from shearing his head, so in good sheep farmer fashion, I held him down while I ran the clippers across the side of his head.
I cut off enough hair to cover the floor of my kitchen! I knew my little boy was under there somewhere.
Crazy with the clippers, while my husband watched.
"oops a little uneven now, lets do the other side"
"Look I have a little shelf action going on"
Chris responded with "Well you're committed now"
Yes, I was committed the moment I ran the clippers down the centre of his head giving him a reverse mohalk.
I cut out the hair that was matted with syrup from breakfast that morning.
I cut if all off and he swatted and pushed and wriggled and writhed and in the end I have a very cute boy with a very SHORT hair cut (in most places, couldn't quite get the back while he was sitting in the high chair). He did get rewarded though and now, finally - it was Matthew's turn.
He changed his mind I think after seeing Joey being put under the torture of "the clippers", but the lure of lollys, just sitting there in a bag in front of him finally won.
Again, I gleefully maneuvered the clippers, searching for my son underneath the mountain of hair that claimed to be him.
A little harder this time, as hair that grows in 30 different directions has to be cut in 30 different directions.
But I won.
I have fought the clipper fight, and beat the battle of the hair - for now. It grows slowly, so that's a plus. I think we can get away with 2 haircuts a year.
In other news, I took the big boys to Walmart today.
As we walked across the parking lot, a car drove by looking for a spot, and Duncan without thinking reached out to touch it as it moved past us.
Got a dirty look from one lady who was appalled that my almost 5 yr old didn't have the sense to know not to touch a moving car. Hey, he's never touched a moving car, so how was he to know that it could hurt?
After getting a few things from my exceptionally well behaved boys that day (no running, and no crying/whining) we were on our way out when Matthew insisted on using the public bathrooms. Knowing that he had gone before we left (about 10 minutes earlier) I was not going to let him play in the bathrooms, and insisted that we head out home. Temper tantrum ensued. I put him in the cart. He refused to put his coat on. He screamed that loud embarrassing 3 yr old torture scream. You know the one. Where everyone looks at you and wonders why you can't control your kid, and how you must be a horrible parent for letting them scream, and how *their* kids will NEVER act like that, because they will just teach them not to... HA HAHA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA.
So after that little episode, Matthew ran out the automatic doors, which closed behind him and then he tried to get back in the out door - which would not open, and because he was standing so close to the doors trying to force them open with all the strength a 3 yr old can muster, the safety engaged, preventing anyone else from exiting the automatic doors.
The good kindly Walmart greeter who must have been all of 126 yrs old told me in a less than kind manner that I needed to tell my son to step back from the door.
Right.
This is a panicked 3 yr old, whose focus now is on getting the door open. I doubt he would even hear me at this point, as once he gets something into his head, he's a little bulldog, and CANNOT be directed to do anything.
Walmart employee cleverly thinks he will guilt me by saying "You need to move you are holding everyone up".
I glace for 2.8 seconds at the ONE person I am holding up and ignore ancient Walmart employee - trying to establish eye contact with Matthew so I can tell him that he needs to open the other door. Doesn't really matter at this point because Matthew's brute strength has managed to force one of the automatic doors open about an inch, spurring him on because he's "succeeding" at opening the door. (have I mentioned that he is incredibly strong for a 34lb 3-1/2 yr old?)
I grabbed my 2 little bags out of the cart, thankful that Joey was not with me, and helped Matthew force the door open enough for Duncan and I to slip through. I nearly said "Thankyou for all your help" to the Walmart guy, but decided it wasn't worth it, and the sarcasm would be lost on him anyway. ahhh Walmart is *always* such an experience.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Oh my goodness! What an ordeal! I know how you feel. You have to read my latest post about Tyler's Temper Tantrums. They are out of this world!!!
And the haircut. We are going to have to give Tyler one soon. Oh, I am not looking forward to it. But I would LOVE to see a picture of your 3 handsome short-haired boys! Well done mom, AKA hairdresser!!
Once again, it shows that Walmart is an experience all on its own. Both my girls also need to be seriously bribed with lollipops & shows to get their bangs trimmed at Grandma's. Maybe this is why their hair is still long......:)
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Oh Jenn, everytime I cut Zachary's hair, there is an episode! Oh I hate when his hair gets too long. He sits better at the beauty shop, but the last time I took him, it looked awful. I decided if it's going to look awful, I'm doing it. Although it does look better when I do it than when they do it. But I really feel for you having to do three of them. I'm glad Duncan sits nice for you. :)
Yes, the Walmart greeters. Gotta love 'em. NOT! ;)
Oh Jenn!! An ordeal is RIGHT!! I am definitely not brave enough to do my boys hair...but then, Aidan's is still a wee bit surfer-boy shaggy :)
My Mom does Jenna's :) I just can't justify $10 for trimming bangs and ends!!
Gotta agree with Hannah...we need more pics o your handsome devils :)
~Lisa~
Ah Jenn, I would love to be a fly on your wall. It doesn't sound like there's ever a dull moment at your house and I love hearing about the boy's antics.
I agree that the Walmart greeters are useless. I've always wondered how much a job like that pays to just stand there and nod hello at people. Half the time, they don't even help you with getting a cart like they are suppose to.
Wow...some people can be so incredibly clueless. I think that people forget what it is like to have kids.
That's awesome about the hair cuts. I bet they look super cute now! My boys have to have their hair cuts every 4-6 weeks. HAVE to or else they look like girls :)
"You need to move. You are holding everyone up."
Just exactly what in the hell did he think you were goig to do? Blink your eyes and magically make the doors open?!!
Useless useless greeters!!!!
I'll bet the boys look fantastic with the haircuts!
Just popping in to say that I love the cuts! I also think Wal-Mart Greeters are just a special kind of stupid .. I can say that since I've been one LOL
Hugs
The cuts are cute, I'd let Matthew grow really cute dread locks (but I'm a hippy so it would be okay)...
Walmart greeters are rather useless in my humble opinon also.
Post a Comment