Monday, May 03, 2010

We both think he's funny-for different reasons.

Took Matthew to a birthday party yesterday. It was at the movie theatre, and he desperately wanted me to come with him to watch "How To Train Your Dragon" - IN 3D!!
It was all he talked about all week, and believe me, that boy can talk. And talk. And Talk.

Finally party day arrives - we get there and I offer to pay for my own ticket to tag along, since it looks like a cute movie, and Host was very gracious and said not to worry, they would just add me on to their tab....

Then she told me that the movie they had PLANNED to see had to be changed because the theatre changed the movie times and it was no longer coordinated with the party room time (dumb theatre).

When you change the plans on any kid at the last minute - be prepared for disappointment.
When you change the plans of a kid on the spectrum at the last minute - be prepared for a meltdown, and the end of the world.

Actually, I was very impressed with how he handled the news. I broke it to him gently, with many promises that I would indeed take him to see "how to train your dragon" but today at the party they were going to watch something else.

"Is it in 3D?" he asked me.

"Um no, I don't think that one comes in 3D - but we will for sure go watch the Dragon Movie together in 3D ok?"

"OK"

And that was it.
No meltdown.
No Temper Tantrum.
No visible signs of receiving crushing news that is liable to ruin the rest of your life

Just "Ok".

After pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, and then patting myself on the back for handling that in spectacular mom fashion - I mean, that was worthy of some sort of parenting award - I left him in the capable hands of the birthday boy's parents - along with 8 other little boys and went shopping. Movie parties are great because there's a movie and THEN the party - so I had 3 hours and 15 minutes to wander around the mall - by myself. Heaven.

When I did finally pick him up - he wanted to go into the mall (which is attached to the movie theatres) and ride the escalators a few times (or 6 as it turned out to be). Why this is such a novelty for him, I don't know - but I indulged because there aren't too many times anymore where we get some one on one time, and really - those times are when the best conversations happen. Like this one:

Matthew: "Hey mom - look under there"
Me: "Under where?"
Matthew: "Ha - You said 'UNDERWEAR'"
Me: Oh you funny guy!
Matthew: "Did you know I was going to make that joke?"
Me: "Yeah" (Only because he makes it at least once a week).
Matthew: "What's that word? The one where you know somebody is going to say something, but you pretend that you don't know - Oh yeah - HUMOURING. Were you Humouring me?"
Me: "I guess I was"
Matthew: "I'm still funny though"
Me: "Without a doubt...(*looking at his confused face*)...That means yes"


He had a good time at the party though and told me all about 'this one part' of the movie over and over again and basically didn't stop talking until he fell asleep last night.
I have no idea where he learned the "Humouring me" expression - but he used it correctly. I wonder if they humour him at school. I wonder how many times he has said "look under there" - each time expecting someone to fall for it, again and again.
At least his self confidence appears to be at an all time high.

3 comments:

JILL said...

I love hearing how he was able to shift gears! As I read along, I was sure it wasn't going to end that well. ;-) And yay for the free time in the mall!

Hannah said...

That's awesome, how well he handed such a BIG let-down. I think even I, an adult who is not on the spectrum, would have been pretty annoyed if a movie I had been really looking forward to seeing had to be changed at the last minute!
What a great kid!!!

Colleen said...

Jenn -you and your boys never cease to amaze me!