Friday, May 14, 2010

Shut up or I'll stab you.

So today I had a marvellous conversation with my 7 year old.

I should probably be more concerned than I really am - I had gone over to the neighbours to tell him to come home and he begged for 5 more minutes.
Since it's nice out, and they were playing nicely, I said sure - and returned home, and 15 minutes later headed out to call him home.
He ran out of the neighbour's backyard to greet me

M: "Mom - I was just coming home"
me: "Yay - that's great, did you have fun?"
M: Oh yeah, we played a great game in M.'s backyard - it was called 'shut up or I'll stab you'

****alarm bells going off *****

me: Wha, wha, whaaaaat?"
M: "Shut up or I'll stab you - We saw it on this Mario and Luigi video on You-Tube"

****note - My kids are not allowed to watch you-tube for this very reason. It has been deleted from their ipods and the only computer they have access too is in the kitchen where any internet can be monitored by yours truly. Unfortunately, I have no control over the neighbours - who apparently think it is perfectly acceptable for a 9 yr old boy to have unsupervised internet access in his room.

me: Matthew - You know there's a lot of stuff on you tube that isn't meant for kids, and that's why you aren't supposed to be watching it. Don't you think the name of that game sounds inappropriate?

M: "Well - maybe it's a little bit inappropriate, but it's better than the game 'suicide bomber'. That's very inappropriate."

I'm glad he at least recognizes that blowing people up is bad.

We'll have to work on that stabbing thing - In the meantime, don't talk too much around him....

4 comments:

Tired Mom of Six said...

Oh yes - how much M. reminds me of Daniel. I love the way their minds think. It truly keeps life interesting!

The other me said...

Really, I do not understand AT ALL why any parent would allow any child ( even big, grown up ones) to have a computer in their room, isn't that just telling kids to look up anything they like? All our computers are in the front room, if you want the internet, there it is, right where everyone else is sitting. If you can't look it up because someone might see....you shouldn't be looking at it. That's adults too.
What a great kid Matthew is to tell you what he had been playing. Will you tell the neighbours what their kid is looking at / playing while they are oblivious?

Tara (Nerdgirlmom) said...

I agree with you that kids should always be supervised with the computer...I'm always amazed at what other parents think they don't have to worry about. I love the way you wrote this entry...especially the last line...bwahahaha!!! Also now whenever someone is going on and on to me I'm going to be thinking "shut up or I'll stab you."

JILL said...

I'm with Tara - while the unsupervised internet is a serious subject, I am giggling at your last sentence!