I think I'm just going to start blogging the conversations I have with my kids, because I have so many of them, and they don't always fit neatly into a Facebook Status window.
Sometimes we have serious conversations, and some times they are frivolous and funny- but more often then not there's some little gem in there that gives me a little treat - a peek inside the workings of their brain.
I can see how my blog has evolved.
It started off with tales - stories of adventure with little boys - the chaos and the mischief. The kinds of things I look back on now and am glad I blogged about because for all of their mischief - some of those things are FUNNY in retrospect - and without a sense of humour, I'm afraid parenthood would be very dull and tedious indeed.
Gradually the blog became less about the funny stories - and more about the difficulties we experienced. The discovery of having children with special needs, and all that it entails. Heartbreaking at times, and raw, and yes, I'm glad I blogged those too - as it was cheap therapy for me, and because I can go back and see just how far we've come.
Adversity may be thrown our way - but I hope that we have handled it with dignity and grace and a lot of humour sprinkled into those difficult times.
Now the kids are getting older. My 'baby' will be 6 tomorrow. I can see such a difference in him from 2 years ago, when he wasn't talking, wasn't toilet trained and wasn't functioning even at a two yr old level. Now he laughs, he understands simple commands (obeying them we are still working on, but he's improving).
He has learned to dress himself, and to advocate for himself using WORDS! He even likes to play with other kids! Sort of. He likes other kids to be around. He doesn't like to play with them, but he likes to be near them, and that's a huge step forward.
So now I feel like with my kids growing up - we are moving into the stage of parenting older kids. Less parenting, and more gentle guidance as they learn to navigate for themselves how to function in society. Room for mistakes, and room for learning through experience - I'm learning to step back a little and embrace this less hands on approach, leaving room for my kids to learn and become independent individuals. There for them when they need it, but stepping back and letting them fly a little and test their wings.
And now back to the funny - because in addition to writing all these things down for the dual purposes of posterity and self therapy; I also wanted to share the laughter and the humour that is found in our lives everyday. I love to laugh, and love to make people laugh, and laughter is good for the soul as well as helping to keep things in perspective. Some days I wasn't sure I would be able to cope, but then I'd write it down; find a humourous way to spin it and tada - didn't seem all that bad after all.
Spills are spills. Things are things, and material stuff is always (eventually) replaceable. we have a great family, food in the fridge and a roof over our heads - without fail - every day our needs have been met. Every. Day.
When I'm feeling down - there's always someone who picks me up - Don't underestimate the small little words of encouragement or little kindnesses, and funny jokes you send to someone - you never know when that is the one thing that gets them through the day.
And so once again this blog is evolving to meet the stage of life I'm at.
Yes I know I had a brief fling with cleaning. Temporary insanity I think - although I do like having my kitchen clean all the time. My little OCD flaw. Am moving on to bigger and better. I'm sure I'll still clean and do laundry and declutter my cupboards once in a while - but will I look back on THOSE blogs and remember my kids growing up? Probably not, although I may wistfully sigh with envy at the lovely tidy homes of my friends - I know mine is a struggle to keep clean, and I'm not going to always be on the winning side of that battle!
I think I will be concentrating the next little while on the conversations between the kids and I. Especially the funny ones. There are plenty of them - i I can remember to get on here while it's still fresh, I'll be endeavoring to share them.
It's not literary pulitzer prize winning stuff - but it's the stuff I will want to remember - with a smile.
Conversation with Matthew (Age 7).
me (To my hubby): "Oh honey, if you're going to the store to pick up a few things - I need some more eggs"
Matthew: "Oh, can I have an egg?"
me: You've had 2 already and I need the rest to make a cake
Matthew: EWWWWW
me: What - you don't like cake?
Matthew: Not with EGGS in it?
me All cake has eggs in it
Matthew: No it doesn't - That would taste disgusting
me: Trust me, I always put eggs in the cake mix - it's baked in - it doesn't taste like eggs when you eat it.
Matthew Oooooh, I thought you would just put scrambled eggs and ketchup on top of the cake
me: Yeah, that would be kind of gross.
Matthew Maybe I'll just have an ice cream cake for my birthday
Happy May Day everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment