Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sunny skies - I mean rain

It's raining today.
It is not a school day today.
That means I have 3 boys IN the house, playing soccer, spilling gingerale on the carpet, and swarming about the house like a bunch of angry bees. They are not happy, and therefore, neither am I.

I have big bone to pick with the weather forecasters. Honestly, is this not the easiest job in the world? You don't ever have to be right - because it's "not an exact science".
I don't care about it being exact - but when you tell me that we are getting sunshine and warm weather for the next 7 days - I start believing it. And my disappointment at having thunderstorms on day 3 and 4 of so called 'sunny sky' forecast is comparable to a kid being told that Christmas is canceled. Ok, maybe not that disappointed - but pretty put out just the same.
I had made plans.
Plans that included children outside, playing in their new pool - you know, the one that they've been bugging me for a month to drag out, and I've resisted because it's been too cold/wet/miserable - but this week - THIS WEEK was supposed to be nice.

And Sunny.

And Clear.

they lied.

This makes me look bad to my kids, and I don't need any help in that department thankyou very much.
Perhaps I shall go into weather forecasting - I don't think you need much more than a finger to hold up into the air and the ability to say "chance of precipitation".
What a dumb phrase.
Here's your forecast everyone - It might rain.
It might not.
We don't know because it's not an exact science.
It's very very far from exact.
Even when they give percentages - like 30% chance of precipitation - It ALWAYS precipitates! What happened to the 70% chance that nothing would fall from the sky?
In fact it's so far from being an exact science, that I would almost not call it science at all. It's a guess.
Your guess is as good as mine, but why do we pay people for their guesses.
My kids can guess better. They can smell rain.
They can also smell ice cream trucks. From miles away.
On monday Matthew told me that he smelled the ice cream truck. I smiled to myself, because it was only noon, and the ice cream truck makes a regular pit stop somewhere around dinnertime (idiot!).
Imagine my surprise when 5 minutes later I heard the familiar ring of the ice cream truck, lumbering down an adjacent street in the neighbourhood.
maybe he can smell the ice cream truck.
it's not an exact science you know.

9 comments:

saheldormparents said...

It is raining here too. Niece actually gets excited when she hears thunder and gets to announce it too us, "Thunderrrr, LOUD!! Funny" not quite a sentence since there are no verbs, but you get the gist of it. Great blog Jenn, maybe I'll encourage Niece to become a meteorologist, talk about job security!

Hannah said...

Yikes! What happened to the warm weather you were boasting about in your email to me on Monday?!
I hope the weather picks up before my visit - I want sunny. And clear.

LOL about the icecream truck. We don't have them anymore, but when I was a little girl I could smell them too!! Hehe.

Bodog said...

Jenn, I predict that today you'll have a day with lots of...weather. Weather all over the place. Enjoy.

And ugh, I hate when you (not necessarily you, I mean when I, so why didn't I say that?) tell the little electrons that we'll go outside tomorrow and then they remember and it's raining.

I hope it clears up soon.

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of a horrific winter weather warning we were having when we lived in central NC. Ohmygoodness, people were in a horrible PANIC as it rarely snows there and the city does not have any way of dealing with snow: no salt trucks, no snowplows, nuthin'. People panicked and went out and bought bread and canned goods and batteries and whatnot-- as if a hurricane was coming that would destory everything in it's path.

What happened?? NOTHING.

What did the weather forecaster say? I swear he said: "a mysterious dry wind came along and blew the storm front away."

I'm not kidding, THAT was the official meteriological term: "mysterious dry wind."

Now, ::coff, coff:: if y'all wanted to come south to the subtropics, we've got sunshine practically every day down here! I can send you some apartment guides if ya want-- house hunting isn't an exact science, either.

The other me said...

Yeah , the weather people do that to us too.....they should be forced to wear short sleeves and sleep under the stars every time they say sun and it rains!
Seth can smell EVERYTHING! He knows if I cut his bread on the chopping board not a plate, he can smell the brand of bread if I dare try a new brand, he can smell if onion was in the same ROOM as bread, he can smell different brands of all his favourite foods, even if they look identical he can tell if it's not 'his' food.....spooky. I think he doesn't know Ice cream vans smell though.

the mystic said...

Yes! And in Oregon the weather forecast is always something like, Monday rain, Tuesday showers, Wednesday scattered showers, Thursday showers with partial clearing.

They have like thirty different ways of saying "rain."

When I lived in Arizona it was the same, only thirty different ways of saying "hot and sunny." For instance in July they might say, "Well it's going to cool down tomorrow and only get up to about 108."

Julie Q said...

Too cute Matthew smelling the ice cream truck! They never come down our street unless we wait for them and wave them down!

Hope it is sunny today! :) It is gorgeous here!

GClef1970 said...

Isn't that amazing about Matthew smelling the ice cream truck?? Conor can hear my husband's car before we can see it or I can hear it. He'll say, "Daddy's home!" and a minute later, my husband is pulling into the driveway.

I'm blowing sun up your way. Send some rain to us before the state of Florida catches on fire like 1998.

GClef1970 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.