Saturday, May 13, 2006

The right to buy arms

I have a hard time explaining things to the kids sometimes - they are just so literal about everything, and as much as I've always wanted to be honest and straightforward with them, I find more and more that the questions they ask become difficult to answer honestly given their limited understanding on such things as death and taxes, and it's much easier on both of us to give a pat sort of fibby answer at times.
Sometimes when I say things like "Don't throw cups of water all over the bathroom floor when you're in the tub" and they ask me "Why" it is much easier to say that it will make the tub fall and the house collapse, then to try and explain to them how water damage on the ceiling is incredibly costly to repair, not to mention it's a nuisance for me to clean up 3 inches of water in the bathroom, and I hate using my socks as a mop when I go to the bathroom to pee. They are very adept at making up excuses and counteracting anything I say with some justification of their own.
So I guess I don't fib so much as I overexaggerate to simplify and make a point.
On Thursday, Matthew in typical 3 yr old fashion was busy NOT putting his seatbelt on in the van, choosing instead to climb over seats, sit in the driver seat, and procrastinate to the point where even I with the patience of - well of a mom being pushed dangerously close to the edge - finally started the van and then put my brake on, just before my wheels left our driveway.

This served to toss my 35lb child, who refused to buckle up the harness in his seat to be catapulted ever so gently into the back of the passenger seat.

"See?" I told him."It's important to always buckle up when the van is moving"

"Why?"

"because if we were even in an accident, you would fly much further than that and could get very hurt"

"Could I fly?"

"You might fly right out the window, and get hurt by other cars!"

"Then what would happen?"

"Then you could get your arms ripped off or something!"

"Then what?"

"Then you wouldn't have any arms!"

"Well then I would just get some new ones at the ARM STORE!"

Yeah, I don't think he understands really, how flying through a glass window, and having limbs torn asunder could be more serious than a mild inconvenience to be fixed by purchasing new limbs for, oh 99.9 cents (Isn't that the current price of gas per Litre right now? - I know it's an arm AND a Leg)

In any case, Mr. Snappy Comeback was buckled in by me against his wishes because He "Wanted to do it myselfffffffffff".
Tough beans little boy.

The funny things that came out of their mouths this week though - this is one of the joys of being a parent; the other one being taking those horrendously embarrassing pictures that have a tendency to re-appear at their weddings or while visiting with their prom date.

One evening amidst the nightly chaos of getting 3 kids into jammies and bed-time rituals, the TV somehow got tuned into Wheel of Fortune. As the contestent de jour yelled out his guess; "R", Matthew's attention was immediately drawn to him, and he asked "Is that guy a pirate?" I mean, why else would anyone yell out "Arrrrrggg" unless they were a pirate, because we all know that's the noise that pirates make - even when they are trying to disguise themselves as contestents on game shows.
Vanna of course did not have to walk the plank, so they quickly lost interest and we finally got the kids to bed.

This morning, I distracted the kids from jumping on my bed by making cinnimon toast and letting them watch Blues Clues.
They haven't been watching it for very long - in fact, I don't think they even recall the days when it was STEVE hosting Blues Clues, but now since Steve has gone off to pursue higher education, his little Brother JOE got the handy dandy notebook gig.
Little animated characters talking to a real live person who dances funny and gets way too excited about the mail coming.
But the kids love it, and now I love it, because all those little animated characters said "HI JOE" and my 2 yr old non-verbal Joey boy who has never even so much as turned his head when I call his name unless it is followed by "want a cookie?" looked directly at the TV and said "Hi"

Happy Mother's day to me!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he only answers to Joe, not Joey???? Congratulations, I guess it only takes the right motivation, eh? Great blog Jenn!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
So glad you blogged this story! It is sooooo funny. The "Arm Store". I wonder what else they sell there.
And Joey saying "Hi" to the TV. How cute! You're such a clever writer!
Congrats on a great blog!
LYM

MamaTink said...

HURRAH! And who in there right minds really believes that TV is bad for kids!? HA! I laugh in their face. My kids are bilingual because of Dora! pfffttt!

And OMG! I am Rolling with laughter over the arm store comment. I get such amusement over how literal ASD kids are :) Henry will never ever let me forget the time I told his mom that I needed to recharge my batteries (from being so tired after a night with Mason). He threatens me daily with taking out my batteries :)

Great stories Jenn :P

~Lisa~

GClef1970 said...

Well, hurray for Joey! It just took animated characters screaming his name to get him to verbalize! :-)

Hmm, do you think the Arm Store might sell bracelets? I've been looking for a new one. ;-)

Hannah said...

LOL, I am ROFL about the Arm Store!! I was following your regurgitation of your conversation with Matthew, and was up to the bit where he says "I could fly?" and imagined having the SAME conversation with my almost 4-year-old, and imagined his response to that would be something like "Yes! I'd be able to fly like Batman/Superman/Spiderman" since that is the logic his brain operates under! Kids!!

Too cute about Joey answering to the TV. How adorable!!

Happy Mother's Day, Jenn!

Anonymous said...

oooh, thats a good'un! I love the visual imagery in this one. Oh, BTW, you can always do the PIRATE'S ALPHABET! You alreeady know "R" so the next one is to put your finger by your eye and shout, "EYE!" You can also take a drink of something, spit it out and yell, indignant: "TEA?!"

Sorry, had to throw that in there.

Julie Q said...

So funny Jenn! And written so well, it felt like I was there watching. Love the arm store story!

That is great he interacts with Joe! :) He looks like a big kid. They do encourage the kids to "talk" to them, so perhaps if he keeps watching Joey will respond more. :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh the arm store. I hadn't heard of such a place but it would a good spot to go when one loses limbs. lol. :) Those boys are too cute!!!

K.C.'sMommy said...

ROFLMAO! Your boys are just too cute! I love reading about them:)
Happy Mother's Day to you!

ninepounddictator said...

Wait...Steve is no longer on Blue's Clues?????
This is what I get for buying the DVDs...I'm so out of the loop...ha ha...

I've heard way too many, "I want to do mysellffffff!" lately.

I am pretty patient, I must admit. But, really, it takes her 30 minutes to get into the car seat by "mysellllffffff"

Breath. Breath....

The other me said...

I love your blog, it's so close to my life that I am so there with you! I love reading the things they say and do!! And Joey? Hi, baby boy!!