Anyway, it's been another hectic week in our house - Starting with 'the baby'.
I call him 'The Baby" because he's my baby, my youngest, and since he doesn't really talk and sounds like Jack Jack from the Incredibles, I just refer to him as the baby.
The Baby is 2. As of last Tuesday.
He doesn't look like a baby anymore......he's thinned out, and his face has changed to lose that baby look.

He still doesn't speak except for the occasional 'baby' or 'bubble' or 'rainbow'. 3 words in his inventory, although I know he has more if prodded, he only uses 3 with regularity.
We got his assessment report last week which indicated a severe language delay - Receptive language assessed at 6 months and expressive at 9 months. How they think he can say more than he can understand, I'm not sure, but that's the 'official word'.
We've looked into private speech therapy, since the waiting list for the OHIP covered Speech Therapy is roughly 8 months long.
I don't want to wait 8 months.
I also don't want to pay $95/Hr for speech. That can add up pretty quickly, as I don't think 1 or 2 sessions a week would be all that beneficial. He needs consistant therapy, at least every day, and since I don't have $3000 a month sitting in my "pocket money" account, I'll be doing his speech therapy myself.
I knew that someday my university degree would come in handy, and more than just for wiping up spilled juice in the kitchen.
I was actually a linguistics major, and took several courses in speech acquisition, child development, and language. So how do I plan on using my hard earned degree to help my son? Why it's easy. I call it the Skittles method.
It cost about $1 a day. For a bag of Skittles.
My kids love Skittles - More than just about any candy on earth including chocolate. They have to be original flavour of course - none of this fancy luau fruit, or berry burst variations.
Matthew (age 3) is my role model. He can talk, and was speaking in full sentences at 18 months. He was practically born talking. He doesn't stop talking. He's a good role model.
I hold out my hand - with delicious looking skittle on it. I close my hand and tell Joey "Say BABY"
He tries to pry my fingers open.
I look at him again and say "Say BABY" - Opening my hand briefly on the 'baby' part.
He still tries to pry my fingers open.
I turn to Matthew - who has a sweettooth and command "Say BABY"
"BABY" he shouts out enthusiastically and gobbles up the skittle as reward.
I get another skittle and tell Joey to "say BABY"
'bee-bee' - It works - and he gets the skittle.
We try the whole thing over again - each time J tries to pry my hand open instead of using the 'magic word' and each time Matthew is more than willing to play role model for me.
By the 4th time, Joey can say baby on command.
We try another word.
"Say Daddy" - with tasty red skittle as bait
"Bee-bee" is the enthusiastic response from my youngest......
Well, we'll work on listening skills too.....
This week also brought "The Party"
Yes, in addition to my youngest turning 2, My oldest turned 5 and had a party with 9 friends and siblings at one of those kidzone places that has an indoor playground and arcade and a decibel level of 842! It probably wouldn't have been so bad, my 5 yr old boys party, if there wasn't also a 4 yr old girls party at the same time. Girls shriek. Girls are actually louder than boys. At least these girls were. They gave me a headache, but our party was underway, and the kids had a ball.
In the end, it probably was worth the $200 to let them run wild, burn off all that energy, and not have to clean up a thing, not worry about ice-cream cake spilling on the floor, and sit at a table with other parents sipping my diet coke while the kids ran around like little energizer bunnies. There is only one exit, and the door doesn't open unless someone at the front desk pushes a button, so nobody can go in and out without supervision - what a relief in this day and age to be able to let down your guard, let the kids just have fun without hovering or worrying about strangers, or predators. After 3 hours we pronounced it a success and went home, with the rest of our cake and a bunch of awesome new presents as bonus.
In other excitement - The one night this week my 3 yr old decides that he wants to eat something is the night our microwave died. Daddy had to cook eggs 'the old fashioned way' on the stove, in a frying pan;
Our microwave was 9 yrs old - I suppose it had a good run. When we'd first bought it, it was a beast - a mammoth among smaller models. We figured (and rightly so) that it would get a lot of use - so we bought the biggest one we could find with the most whistles and bells we could get for our money (generously donated by family as a wedding gift).
I was sad to see the microwave die.
We've known for at least 3 years now that it's had some tempermental quirks. we kept saying that "someday" it was going to just flake out on us, and then we'd be in a pickle because we've come to depend on it.
Yes I was a bad mommy and heated my baby bottles in the microwave.
We nuke eggs, and ravioli and all sorts of things throughout the day. I used it to soften my ice cream if it's too hard to scoop.
I melt butter for baking. I cannot live without a microwave - well, until I was forced to this week.
But now we have a new one. Bigger and better and shinier.
It looks nice in my kitchen - like it was meant to be here. It's the same brand as our old one, because I hate trying to figure out microwaves - they ARE rocket science sometimes - why can't they make them intuitive? you should be able to punch in 146 and start and the microwave goes for 1 minute and 46 seconds. I hate the ones where you must decide what power level you want first, and input the weight of the egg you want to cook, oh and the temperature outside and the position of the moon before the darn thing decides to go.
I love my new microwave - end of story. It even has a the same 'quickminute' button that our old one had. Less buttons for me to push means more time for me to do other things. Like eat skittles with 'the baby'.

WILT: "Easy to Install" is manufacturer speak for "Thanks for your money, you're on your own now sucker! No we don't have a 1-800 help line"
Skittles are a good motivator, not just for talking, but for getting kids into jammies, and to get out of the garden too.

22 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about Joey's language delay, but it sounds like you are on the road to success, even if it's one skittle at a time! He'll get there. :)
Now that the party is over, do you mind if I ask where you held it? I've had a hell of a time finding an indoor playground type place to hold my daughter's party, we've resigned to doing it at home again this year. There is NOTHING around here. (Times like this I miss Ajax).
On a side note... Holy smokes batman, you have one clean kitchen!!! You've inspired me to go and put away the dishes that were drying.
Hi Ho, Hi Ho.. it's off to clean I go...
Thanks for the Skittle method. I'm going to try it, only in our house it will be the "smarties" method. Ian will be two in a month and although he understands everything you say, knows his shapes and colours, he will not talk...except for up, uh-oh, mama. If you ask him to do something, he will, if you ask him what sound something makes, he will make the sound...but ask him to say something and he will just look you in the eye and say ughhhhh.
I agree with the pp...you kitchen will way too clean!!!!
Whoops, that was my, Gail. I'm at work and reached for the phone and voila, my post was posted. What'd ya know!
Gail
Hey Jenn, I need to do some speech therapy work with Nic too (his l's especially) Any words to the wise on resources etc?
Thanks for the update Jenn. Sounds like we have had similar weeks. Kaitlyn has started to stutter a bit & has trouble pronouncing some letters (she is also a candy monster so maybe that will be some incentive for her)Plus I just booked her birthday party & summer daycamp at the local sports complex 'cause I can't depend on the weather & I will be bone-tired after my hospital practicum ending around the same time.
Belated b'day wishes to Joey from us girls here in Cowtown!
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
have you ever noticed that what you NEED to give your autistic child is WAAAY beyond your budget?? We're in the same boat: Solenbum would need so many wonderful things that we just can't scrape the $$$ together for... ::sigh::
As for the Skittles idea-- we're pinchin' that one! I think it might work...
As for living without a microwave, well heck, we might as well live without ELECTRICITY or INDOOR PLUMBING for that matter! I don't know HOW I survived my childhood without one: when ours goes belly up, we're in troooouble.
finally, we held a recent b-day party at Charles E. Fromage. I now know why they sell BEER (and have encouraged them to begin selling shots of single-malt whiskey as well!!)
I just LOVE Skittles! I haven't given them to my boys yet. But I think I will start using them as bribery, since it works so well for you!
Happy Birthday to Joey! I can't believe he is 2! I guess that means Tyler is 2 in 4 months - yikes! I'm sorry to hear about his speech delay but he's definitely got the right momma helping him! Isn't it nice to know that our tertiary education WAS worthwhile?
Nice new microwave!! Lovely.
Indoor playgrounds ROCK!!! The BEST place for a kid party. And yes, girls are louder than boys.
Hi Jenn,
Good luck on the language training!
Glad you had a wonderful party and your kitchen looks marvelous!!!!
Can't wait to see it!
LYM
ugh the speech thing, how we worry when they won't and wish they would shut up when they do!! Isaac has days when my ears feel they want to run anywhere to get away from the noise. He even has spoken at school this past week! Joey is a big boy and looking more and more like the bigger boys every day! Clean kitchen girl....something about that isn't right. toooooo clean...too inviting to the chocolate sauce people ...you're asking for trouble!!
It was a FANTABULOUS party! We had a GREAT time!
I love the skittles method.. so smart you are!
Totally digging the microwave.. MAN THAT LOOKS GOOD!
Hugs
Julie
Aw, Joey is so cute! :) It is hard to believe he is two Jenn.
I like the skittles idea. Hopefully it will lead to more and more words. At my house, I would have had to use M&Ms.
Love reading your blog Jenn! I really do! Your new microwave looks great in there! Easy to install, ha! Ben does this type of thing for a living and STILL had a hard time installing ours!
Jackie (another bad mommy who heats up bottles in the microwave!)
Sorry to hear that he has a language delay. So wonderful though that you are such an amazing mommy! They are blessed to have you and you them. He is adorable, but he does look older then 2.
Your kitchen is beautiful. I love it. I am so jealous!!
FWIW, my now seven year old daughter was also miles behind on speech development. She was three, and barely saying a handful of words. What was worse, her pronounciation was so poor that we struggled to even understand what few words she did say. My oh-so-helpful parents thought it was due to the fact she was hearing both English and French at home. Anyway, she started to turn the corner at four, and by five was babbling away quite well, albeit with the basic childhood lisp and the occasional mangled word. Now, at seven, she no longer needs any extra help, and is motoring along beautifully at all aspects of school. Basically, we were told that is she was happy, healthy and socializing well, the speech would come, and it did.
Happy Birthday Joey!! What a cutie pie:)
Oh he's cute!
But do tell me, you really cook EGGS in the microwave???
A year or so ago I got on an anti-microwave kick, and then I decided that yes, I really would rather we all die from radiation poisoning then have to dirty a pan just to melt butter or make the kids some cocoa.
Hey Jenn, there are a couple programs that I used to run with one of the triplets(she had very limited speech)...there's Oral Motor Imitation and Verbal Imitation. Those might be a good place to start.
If you're interested email me :)
But i do think you are totally on the right track with him!!!
Good luck!
~Lisa~
Dear Jenn,
Be encouraged about Joey, he is a happy, healthy little boy. That is something to be thankful for. I have no doubt that with the proper motivation he will catch up to his brothers in his speech. How can they say that he understands at a 6 month level and communicates on a nine month level???? Maybe because they actually don't know what he does understand!! Hmmmm??? God bless you as you teach him. You are a great mommy!
I think your boys are very lucky to have you for their mother.
Also, i really don't think those little things - microwaving bottle or making eggs in a microwave - makes you a bad mother.
You sound incredible to me.
I think your boys are very lucky to have you for their mother.
Also, i really don't think those little things - microwaving bottle or making eggs in a microwave - makes you a bad mother.
You sound incredible to me.
Thanks for stopping by my blog, Jenn. I like to hear from moms who have been where I am going. I may have to steal your Skittles method of stimulating communication.
I hope we cross paths in cyberspace again.
Jenn
All my kids were different with speech too. My son was very limited on words at two. Now he's eight and bright as anything..sometimes he stutters cos there are so many words trying to get out at the same time. He's at a Waldorf school and his teacher is cool about it, it's not an issue, she says he'll grow out of it as he gains more confidence and grows into himself and its working, he's getting better all the time.
So don't listen to experts telling you something's wrong .. with the love and support you're already giving him he'll be fine in his own time I'm sure. Good Luck.
Post a Comment