Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Note to self

Never ever promise your kids or even remotely suggest a fun trip simply to get them to stop playing a harmonica in your ear.
I did this last week.
The harmonica normally doesn't bother me, but after a while of non-stop "mum, listen to this", interspersed with a 3 yr old whining "He's not sharing that harmonica with me", it began to grate on my nerves.
In fact my last nerve was slowly being eroded by said harmonica - did I mention how loud it is at a distance of 14 centimetres away from your ear?
I admit that I caved, and did something completely selfish, I just wanted the high pitched tinny noise to STOP.
My 'suggestions' of playing with Leapsters, and even letting them watch as many Backyardigan episodes on DVD as they wanted didn't hold a candle to the allure of a very loud, very annoying musical instrument.
Ok ok, I have a confession to make, I DO like watching the Backyardigans myself. easily the cutest kids show on TV, but shhhhhh don't tell anyone - and especially don't tell anyone that my husband likes watching it too.....

but I digress.....

Since the boys were torn between wearing bathing suits, or tiger costumes (anything but normal clothes, that's just not done in this house) I made the silly mistake of telling them that if they were very good, and let mummy clean the kitchen without interruption and gave me 30 minutes of quiet time with no fighting that perhaps we could do something fun that Saturday (this was last Tuesday), like swimming at the community pool.
I got my 30 minutes of relief, and all was promptly forgotten (or was it).

Saturday dawned bright and early - sunny and COLD.
Duncan immediately waltzed into my room at 7:30am and announced "how many hours until we go to the pool?"
you see, in his mind 'perhaps' means "definitely yes, I promise". The qualifier 'if you are quiet' to him means "give mummy 30 minutes of peace and then I can go back to my regular routine of whining and asking for stuff, and she will still have to keep her end of the bargain because she PROMISED* (*see his definition of 'perhaps').
All this I found out at 7:30 on Saturday morning because you see, I had completely forgotten about the deal I had made with the devil for 30 minutes of daily life not punctuated with the melodious strains of the blasted harmonica.....after all, that was 4 days ago - and life was pretty hectic and busy those four days - I had not remembered.
But someone else did.
He was insistant.
Like a little bulldog - pool this and pool that and "mummy you SAID we could go to the pool on Saturday and it's Saturday"

Still, a promise is a promise - even if only in the eyes of a 4 yr old, and since I didn't really have any plans for the day, I thought, what the heck, I'll take the kids to the pool.
Public swim is open from 1:10pm until 4pm. We were there at 1:08!
The boys had worn their swimsuits to the pool, so we just had to get a locker and peel off the winter trappings (coats and boots and clothes) and grab out towels and Huzzah - a lovely afternoon ahead of us.
The kiddy pool is large and shallow and perfect for kids such as mine. they have toys, and floaters and the water is as warm as a giant bathtub. They love it. I love it. They don't fight at the pool, and they were even mindful of the 'RULES' that are heavily enforced there - no running, and stay near mummy. In fact, I ran into a friend of mine, there with her daughter and a neighbourhood friend, and we chatted and the kids played and all was good and lovely......until......
yes there is an until.
All was good until a big kid threw up in the pool. We'd been there barely 30 minutes.
BLECK
Now in his defense, he was mentally challenged, and I understand why his parents would want to bring him to the kiddy pool - but PLEASE, don't bring sick kids to the pool. This is just gross.
Having a 'puker' myself - Matthew throws up regularly just becuase he has problems eating properly- I am quite aware that kids sometimes puke when they are not sick - but this was a sick puke.
so rule #1 is - Don't bring a sick kid to a public pool.
Rule #2 is - After they are sick, take them home.
But nooooooooo, they decided to let sick kid into the big pool.
The kiddy pool had to be shut down for at least 1 HOUR For them to clean it, and meanwhile, I let the kids try the hot tub, and the big pool, which has some very large entry steps and a ramp (for wheelchair access) so the kids could at least play a little bit in the big pool (considerably colder too I might add).
My kids didn't understand why the warm pool had to be shut down, and kept to the wheelchair access ramp because it is a gradual slope, and they only go up to their waist, at which point I kept getting stern warnings from the lifeguards for letting them play there. It's supposed to be for wheelchairs. There were no wheelchairs around, and we were only there while they were cleaning up the kiddy pool - grrrrr. I understand lifeguards have a job to do, and rules to enforce, but they also need a little flexibility under the circumstances since the kiddy pool was closed, and there aren't really any other easy places to take a 3 & 4 yr old swimming.
Anyway - they finally opened the pool back up at 2:45pm.
we played for 15 minutes and then headed out to go back home. I promised the kids pizza and yummy desserts - and the pool tired them out, so we did have a nice relaxing Saturday after we got home.
I must remember though, when they are doing something particularly annoying - not to tempt fate by saying "perhaps" we'll do something next Saturday, in exchange for a brief moment of peace. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat

Oh my, Jenn.
You have such a way with words. You painted the scene and I felt as if I was there.

Your precious boys!
You brave Mama! I don't know if I could ever take my kiddos to a pool by myself. Well, Joey was at home w/Daddy right? I guess I could handle Billy & Tobias by myself...when they are 3 & 4. ;) Of course, right now they are 2 & 3 which truly is lightyears in difference! lol

Glad you're back to blogging. I have missed you!

Hannah said...

I've missed you too, Jenn!
Apart from the boy who threw up in the pool, it sounds like you had a great time!!
Your boys have great memories. I can imagine Ethan would do the same thing, except he would probably need to "check" what day of the week it was first, LOL!

The other me said...

I am SO happy to see you back! I am also incredibly impressed that Duncan waited til saturday...Seth starts the minute I mention that we 'might' do something. " do it NOW, you said we would do it, I wnat to do it, I hate saturdays I need to do it NOW" I try very hard not to mention until we are about to put our shoes on!!
On the puke thing...if any of my kids puked anywhere in a public place I would be out of there and hard pushed to ever return with shame! What were the parents thinking? What if he had puked in the BIG pool? How long would that have taken to clear up? YUK YUK YUK!

Diamond said...

Glad you are back Jenn, I missed you. It's great that you and the boys had so much fun at the pool.

I'm just concerned about the kid who puked in the pool's parents. I can't believe they didn't take him home. Instead they took him into the big pool?!! Whatever were they thinking?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
Good to see you blogging again. What a memory Duncan has! It is so special that you kept your promise (perhaps) to take them to the pool. Duncan will always remember that you keep promises (or even perhapses).
That's very important in a little boy's mind. You're great in my mind too!!
Enjoy your backyardigans. Tee Hee:)
LYM

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

The girls just ADORE going swimming on Sundays. It's such a PITA for us to get them dressed afterwards and honestly I question my sanity in doing it every single week.. but I must say, while we're actually IN the pool it's great fun for us all.. just wish my pool had a sauna ;)

Julie Q said...

I knew it would be worth the wait. Except for the sick kid. Yuck. Can I add to your rule? Don't take a sick kid any place, unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes, you just have to wonder about some people.

Very good of you to keep your promise though. Duncan will remember that you did for a long time.

MamaTink said...

Julie Q is right...Duncan will ALWAYS remember when you say perhaps, or maybe or probably or might....and will ALSO remember that you help up to your 'promise'. That's the makings of a very excellent mommy you know :)

EW EW EW on the sick kid!! Had I been braver I might have yelled back to that lifeguard that "If some people would stay HOME with their sick children, MY children would be safe in the kiddie pool right now!!!" But, I am not so brave :) LOL

Nice to see you back...may I suggest the Harmonica "Accidentally" fall down behind a bookcase? :)

~Lisa~

Lisa said...

Both of my boys have their own harmonica. I feel your pain :)

I also know what its like to sell your soul to the devil for 30 minutes of peace. Except my little guy is on it about ice skating!!! EVERY Saturday! :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Well worth the wait ;-)

I'm glad to hear you had a good day.

-Lo said...

LOL Isnt that true. And when did we mothers and fathers resort to begging for time to clean the house??? "If you would JUST let mommy scrub the toilet ...Ill read you two books instead of three?" WTH?!
It just goes to show ya....we mommas are crazy.
YOU are excellent and a paragon in my eyes for holding yourself to the "promise" even if it wasn't one really.... *Chuckle*

Hugs...you rock.

the mystic said...

Oh that's funny! The sick kid at the pool... I'm about to be sick now! I can't believe they let him go in the other pool-- it's disturbing!

I always try to remember to not make promises or tell the kids we're doing anything remotely fun until it's actually time to leave the house.

Jenn said...

Jessica - I can't take credit for the blind bat bit - it's from Monty Python. Yes, Joey was sleeping at home with daddy - I'm certainly not that crazy to take all 3 to the pool! I did take the boys last year (at 2 & 3) and it was very difficult - which is why we didn't go back until they were a year older - it DOES make a big difference!

Hannah - funny that Ethan has to 'check' the day, why is that kind of stuff so important to them at their tender young age?. Duncan keeps track in his head of the days, the number, everything - He's better at it than *I* am!! Sometimes I'll just ask him what day it is instead of looking at the calendar. He's always right too.

The other me- I would not have mentioned anything to them except for a momentary weak moment caused by harmonica overload - I know you understand....

Debby - thanks it's nice to be missed. As for what were the other kids parents thinking? I'm sure it was something along the lines of "screw how sick my kid is, it's easier for ME to take them to the pool and waste a few hours and having someone else clean up after them is better than having to do it myself...." stupid stupid stupid.

mom - I guess I had a good example :) love you.

Julie -yes I question my sanity - but I would do that regardless of whether we went to the pool or not. Ours does have a sauna, but of course I didn't want my kids to know about it, so we conveniently ignored it - maybe when they are older.

julie q (blushing a little bit) and yes, the modified rule is better - sick kids belong at home - with mummies stroking their heads and giving them flat gingerale.

mamatink -I am not brave enough to yell at lifeguards either - they have the power to kick you out you know! The harmonica has sort of accidentally been misplaced - pity isn't it?

Lisa -did you buy your kids harmonicas or were they a gift? I only have myself to blame, although it did make for a good show and tell one day....We have not attempted ice skating. One battle at a time ;)

April-thanks, I even got to go to a movie that night after they were in bed - it was a great day!

Lo OH you make me laugh!! Can you just see me bribing them with popsicles if they'll stay out of the kitchen long enough for me to mop it. Cleaning was never something that I aspired to do during my 'free time' but if I didn't - well I just don't want to think about it....At least they can't mess up the house while we're at the pool LOL

Real mom talk - yes the kid was disturbing - his parents were more disturbing. I was disturbed. quite frankly I was annoyed with them. I have learned my lesson, about not making promises or saying 'perhaps' until I'm ready to take them out - but in my defense - the harmonica....it would've gotten you too - I know it.

Ravenbajan said...

Ahhh... a pool. You have just given me a major reminder that I need to get my butt in gear for swimming registrations.

That is amazing how great of a memory Duncan has! You aren't going to be able to slip one past him anymore!

On a side note... thanks for letting me know about the comments problem on my site. I wasn't aware. All is better now. :)

Chaotic Mom said...

I have three young boys, actually love the Backyardigans, too! And crave, deeply crave peace and quiet which I don't get much anymore. Hope your next trip to the pool goes a little more smoothly!