Sunday, February 05, 2006

A Bedtime Story

It was a dark and stormy night
the kids were in bed
I'd stayed up to clean
before I lay down my head

And about 2am
I finally lay down.
and only 20 seconds later
I heard an odd sound.

It was a loud "THUNK"
then I heard someone call
then the sound of Matthew
as he ran down the hall

He burst into my room
He'd had quite a fright
seems the Thumk had come from
his room in the night

"What happened?" I asked
As he jumped on my bed
I'd heard it too so I knew
It wasn't just in his head.

"It's an airplane" He wailed
It tried to come get me!"
and at that point I wondered
just what he really did see.

Most likely a large bat
was what he really saw
or at least the shadow of one
as it crashed into the wall

Now I know that bats
Use sonar to fly
They don't see that well
so on sound they rely

But this poor old bat must have been
rather deaf (what a shame)
For he made quite a thunk
on my boys window pane

scared him quite badly
and he insisted after that
on sleeping in MY bed
Far away from that bat!

By this time it's 3am
I am quite tired
but the whole bat incident seemed
to make Matthew wired!

He wiggled, and giggled
and hid under the sheet
he was noisy, and kept kicking me
with his strong little feet

For over an hour
I tried to settle him down
But he would NOT go to sleep
and I started to frown.

I was desperate to SLEEP
so I sent him back
to his own room to fend off
the "airplane attack"

Once on his own
he fell fast asleep
And I did too -
for a few hours at least

Today I am tired
there's no sign of a bat
or aliens, or robbers
or any airplane attack.

I know he wasn't dreaming
because we both heard the noise
I'm just happy it didn't wake
the rest of the boys

so have a good night
and beware of deaf bats
that go crashing into windows
giving your kids heart attacks.

the end.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
I'm so glad your poem was safe.
You've inherited your Grandmother's talent of writing poetry! Congrats!
LYM

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...makes sure that ends up in his memory book! We have possums mating out in our back yard right now...imagine cats times 10...

Poor bat he must have been hurt when he made such a thunk.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Love Love Love it!!! You're one brilliant babe!!!

Hugs

MamaTink said...

You are such a brilliant writer Jenn!!!

hopefully the bats stay away tonight and all is safe and sound for a good nights sleep.

~Lisa~

Lisa said...

Awww...deaf bats are the WORST! You did a great job on that post, you definitely have a god-given writing talent!

Julie Q said...

So very clever Jenn! You definately have a talent for writing.

I also hope the bats stay away!

Hannah said...

Great poem, Jenn!! You have talent my friend.

And as for the deaf bat - wow!! I hope he stays away from Matthew from now on!!

The other me said...

Darn bat!! Made a great blog entry though...hoorah for deaf bats then! All 3 of mine have taken to coming in bed with me in the morning, life is full of treasure, may we grab it when we can.

Lora said...

Absolutely wonderful! You are a brilliant writer but we all knew that already :) Thanks for sharing your talent with us. I would love to see more of these in the future. I hope that you don't lose anymore posts, that's gotta be frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
What a talent here I see,
Writing blogs in poetry.
Keep it up and you will find
Many rhymes will come to mind.
Keep the planes and bats at bay
That is all I have to say!
LYM

Anonymous said...

I could have SWORN I had already commented on this one! lol
Love it. ;)

Glad to see you've got the blog monster gone. :)

-Jes

GClef1970 said...

Hysterical!

We have attempted to calm Conor by lying down with him and get the same result: kicking, wiggling.

Since I've been living in the south for 13 years, I forgot about those stupid bats.

Hope you got some rest since the post!