Monday, June 19, 2006

Adventures in Ravioli

Ravioli - It's one of the mainstays here.

When 10:00 rolls around it's "snack time" - and nothing must deviate from us having snack time at 10 oclock.
Even if the boys are still eating breakfast with food in their mouths, they will shout out "nack kime" (snack time) the second the minute hand reaches 12.

Today, snack time arrived while Duncan was furiously stuffing toast with Jam into his mouth, and then for 'snack' requested Ravioli.
I obliged, because who am I to argue with a boy that is hell bent on having ravioli for snack. It won't hurt him, and it's certainly better than ice cream, with the added bonus that if he eats ravioli at 10 oclock, he likely won't want/need lunch.

So he ate a bowl of ravioli for snack and all was well in the land of boys until 12:00 when it was 'lunchtime' - and the boy wanted MORE ravioli. I'm thinking he must be going through a growth spurt or something, and of course I told him that he could eat the rest of his can of ravioli for lunch. He had to get it himself of course - empty into the bowl and put it in the microwave. Then we had an argument about how long ravioli needs to be in the microwave. I said 15 seconds, because I'm right and I know these things, having had 5 years of experience in warming up 'stuff' for the kids. Duncan said 30 seconds because it's a bigger number, and it's more fun to count down from 30 rather than 15, and because he doesn't listen when I tell him that 30 seconds will make it FAR too hot. So we put it in for 30 seconds, Duncan thinks he's 'won' the argument, and I'm going to teach him a lesson.

30 seconds later the bowl is far too hot to take out of the microwave. Score one for mum!

I put it on the counter, where he licked it and proclaimed it 'too hot' (heh heh heh - TOLD YA)

My gloating was shortlived, as he left it to cool down on the counter and I (foolishly) turned my back for 3 minutes to check out my email. 3 minutes later I was greeted by horrific screams and a 5 year old sobbing his heart out, As JOEY FINISHED OFF THE RAVIOLI that he had dumped onto the floor.
Chaos ensued.
3 crying children.
Duncan ready to throttle his littlest brother, was crumpled on the couch broken hearted that his ravioli was gone.
Joseph, crying because Duncan pushed him, and he slipped in ravioli sauce on my floor, so I had to put him in the highchair
Matthew crying because sometime in the last 3 minutes Joey had gotten a hold of his toy fan and it was now covered in ravioli.
Mummy crying because there were 3 crying children, and my floor was still covered in ravioli, and there was ravioli everywhere from the countertops, dripping down my oven all over the floor and multiple toys that Joey had played with while feasting on his ill-gotten gain.
You may (or may not) know that I like having a clean kitchen - it's one of the few things in our home that I try to keep pristine. Right now it is trashed. Looks like a ravioli bomb went off. I'm grumpy.
Joey is quasi-cleaned up, and having a nap - likely he will sleep extra long on his ravioli filled tummy!

And it's monday - And school isn't even out yet. I have a whole summer of such scenarios to look forward to. I'm hiding the ravioli until September I think.

WILT:

Chef Boy R Dee didn't have kids. Or Carpets.

Checklist O' The Day:

Inventory of the things Joey has thrown into the toilet today (on multiple occasions, not all at once....but yes, all today):
A plunger
A large candle (in glass jar)
A green plastic lei (one of those hawaiian things you put around your neck)
A pink plastic link
3 pieces of puzzle track from D & M's new toy that Grandma brought back from England.....
A plastic curly drinking straw
# of books he has pulled of the bookshelf in the last hour: 41
78 days until school starts again............

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,
You poor Dear! I can just imagine the mess!
I think you need to attach a screen to your toilet bowl...you know one of those big spatter screens for the top of your frying pan......or maybe a sieve of some kind....or just lock the bathroom door....or put Joey on a leash.
Don't check your e-mail til all 3 are asleep:)

Ravenbajan said...

Oh Jenn! LOL sounds like you've been having a fun morning! Seriously though, I emphasize with the pristine kitchen thing.

I have a feeling that your cupboards may be ravoli-free for awhile!

I just love reading your blog...

Hannah said...

Oh my goodness! What a morning! I agree with your mom, don't check your email until they are all safely locked up ... I mean asleep. Hehehe.

Anonymous said...

Jenn

what a funny blog - your mom's idea about the leash is one to consider. I'll be sure to add ravioli to the menu for the future...

So good to see you and Chris and all the little blond boys yesterday - I can't get over how much the sun has lightened their hair...

JM SWMBO

MamaTink said...

Oh Jenn!! I can't imagine!! that stuff STAINS!! Joey's going to be Orange for a week :)

Big, Sympathetic hugs!!

~Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Well it's good that the kitchen floor was clean (and we know it was ;-) ) since the baby ate from it!

You have your hands fuller than normal now that Joey is Lil' Brave Troublemaker. Between him and Chief Troublemaker, you may not sit down for 78 days!

Julie Q said...

Phew! What a busy morning!

I guess I have to agree, with 3 busy boys, I'd wait until nap time to check email. So busy they are!

GClef1970 said...

Argh, the things-in-the-toilet phase. Conor used to throw DH's hairbrush in there constantly. LOL He also used to throw his razor, the toilet paper roll, the soap dispenser and any pen that he found lying around in there.

So sorry about the ravioli. Our current food obsession here is grilled cheese, morning noon and night. That and "circle turkey", which would be turkey lunch meat but it has to remain in a circle. Don't fold it, roll it or cut it up. It must be "circle turkey".

At least I only have one? :-)

odat_kim said...

Well on the bright side, when you and DH forst got married you wanted 4 little boys. Joey sounds like 2 though. 41 books, I think my clock just stopped ticking.
Kim

The other me said...

Raviloi is called pillows in this house...white rice is what gets spead around every day, white rice is the fave thing, breakfast dinner, lunch, floor, socks, white rice stuck to socks makes me cry.

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Oh Hugs! We need a girls night out even if it's only a girls night here because I can't leave Gunther... We REALLY have to set something up for this or next week!

HUGS

Julie

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh a little, you say your kids are autistic but they sound like normal kids to me. I'm not a kitchen cleaning nut but I did mop the floor 3 times today but I didn't have ravioli all over it it was only juice.

I like the screen idea for the toilet.

Go on and check your e-mail just make sure you know where your kids are. Not fun I know but this too shall pass.

BTW You've often blogged about cutting your boys' hair I was wondering how often their hair gets washed? My kids only get their hair washed once a week if that. I just can't take the screaming.

ninepounddictator said...

now, don;t you wish he had asked for ice cream??? ha ha

Argh, I think I hate way too much Ravioli when I was a child. I still can't even think about it,

My goal as a mother is to try and NEVER buy Raviloi...think I could get away with it for my whole life?

owlhaven said...

I broke my arm a few years ago and my husband fed the kids almost entirely on ravioli for weeks....
Mary

Bodog said...

You know...They should do a reality show called 3 Minutes, showing just how much things can go awry in such a short amount of time with little children.

Anonymous said...

did I ever tell you about Cheerio madness? Or Bread Madness or Noodle Madness or, lately, Q-Tip madness? Its when one of the kids empties out an entire box of the aforementioned and flings it all over. YOU, my friend, have just experienced Ravioli Madness!

One of my favorites lately was when someone left the margarine out and the two of them were on the floor smearing it all over. Normally they fight, but this was honor among thieves.

I walked to the door. My wife asked where I was going. "The Florida Keys." I said. "I'm going to grow a beard, change my name to El Greco and become a barfly and sleep under the piers at the beach. Love to you all, goodbye."

Laclos said...

I LOVED ravioli whan I was at that age but then I used to cut the ends off, open up the fold and eat the meat inside. I was a neurotic child but since my mom only had to put up with one of me, it wasn't too problematic. I shall not mention the delights of canelloni.
Although sad to say I still drop pasta products on the floor from time to time - its a MAN thing I guess ;-)

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!! YES! IT DOESN'T JUST HAPPEN AT OUR HOUSE! Sorry for the yell but I just couldn't control myself. lol.

Steph said...

I feel your pain. We had that exact same scenario with Gogurt last week. Reed set it down to use the restroom, and Owen booked off with it. That boy can eat an entire yogurt in under 5 seconds. Luckily, yogurt is easier to clean.

Good luck with the scrubbing. Mr. Clean magic erasers do wonders on tomato sauces. ;]

the mystic said...

Oh things like that make me cry too. Or scream! It sounds kind of funny when it's someone else's kitchen though...