Saturday, June 03, 2006

New Family Portrait.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like this one much better, for a number of reasons.

1. It was done in the comfort of our own living room.

2. It was drawn by my 5 yr old son. While it may not seem extraordinary to you, it is to me. This is the first time he has ever chosen to draw anything beyond a single squiggle.
Drawing/colouring/printing - it's all difficult for him. He poured his heart and soul into this picture and came up with something not only recognizable - but meaningful to him. His family. This is where he feels safe, and loved, and secure.

3. Everyone is smiling, and Matthew has no mouth. While this could be just wishful thinking on Duncan's part, it is kind of nice to have a family portrait where Matthew isn't screaming about it being too bright, or too loud, or that someone is touching him,
or that the floors are too shiny (yes it's happened).

4. Nobody has arms. this means the boys aren't hitting each other, and nobody is getting sticky fingers into places where they don't belong.

5. The sun is shining. (as I sit typing here while it rains - again - outside)

6. He made mummy skinny. He also made mummy bald, but I can wear a wig!

7. We are all together. Since my husband is going away on business again tomorrow, it will be 4 weeks out of the last 5 that he has been in various places out of the country. The boys miss him terribly when he goes, and look forward to friday evenings when "daddy comes home and we'll get slurpies from the slurpie store" Hopefully after next week, it will be the end of travelling for a little while. I miss him too.

8. The picture was free. and worth much much more than that.

After we gushed over the picture, and took photos to commemorate it etc. Duncan erased it. I was sad, but he told me not to worry because he'll do another one. He tried, but frustration reigned supreme and the magnadoodle ended up getting thrown about the room several times. baby steps baby steps. At least he made an effort. His spontaneous Rembrandt phase can't be recreated on demand I guess. He hid it. Take that magnadoodle - nobody will ever find you under there heh heh heh.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

W.I.L.T.:
Sun chips crumble on the carpet much better than regular ordinary Lays potato chips.

Chicken Run is a cute movie, but loses it's appeal after the 842nd viewing.

Magnetic stuff never loses it's appeal.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture! You're right, I like it better too.

You, and your stories about your boys, have really opened my eyes to ASD. For one thing I didn't even know what ASD was before I 'met' you and Helen. And I didn't know how much it could effect your life. Or how hard it was to deal with.

You do a beautiful job.

Your boys are very lucky that God knew just where to put them.

MamaTink said...

Aww!!! How beautiful! I have tears in my eyes :) I know how precious that picture is. Just to know that it's IN there, and that Duncan was able to get it OUT!!! Fabulous!

I'm honoured that you have shared it with us :)

~Lisa~

Anonymous said...

Hi there!

Way to go Duncan! I love it! How precious!
LYM

Julie Q said...

It's beautiful Jenn! Just perfect.

I love how little he made Joey. :)

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

It is perfect in every way! WTG Duncan! I love it!!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Duncan - A great picture.

JMSWMBO

Laclos said...

An interesting site and a lot of good ideas and pics. :-)

owlhaven said...

Great pix! Aren't you glad you got the camera out?

Mary, mom to many

The other me said...

I noticed the smiles first !! Glorious picture. Isaac has just started drawing too, weird how they have taken so long to grasp that they can actually make something other than furious looking scribbles!

GClef1970 said...

I LOVED THIS POST!!!!!

I laughed through every endearing sentence. Looking forward to the day that Conor draws more than lines or letters! ("That's a U right there." "This is an S.")

Lisa said...

It's absolutely the most beautiful piece of work ever.

I soooo look forward to the day when Zachary will draw something recognizable.

Anonymous said...

Great picture Duncan.

Jenn I don't know how you do it with 3 active boys. We went to walmart once to try to get a picture of just 2 kids and ended up with nothing. It was such a bad experiance we never went back. We tried sears once and will not do that again either. I hope your retake at walmart turnes out great if you decide to do it.

the mystic said...

What a sweet story! And I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read what you learned today about Chicken Run!

saheldormparents said...

Oh Jenn, You must be so proud! I'm so glad you took a picture of Duncan's first masterpeice. There will be more, I'm sure, but this was the first and so very special. Thanks also for sharing his frustration in trying to recreate it. It makes it even more precious! I love you!