Matthew is autistic.
I've known it for a long time. He isn't any different today than he was last week.
But NOW it's official.
It's like he's graduated with a certificate and all "Congratulations - You are autistic".
Before, he was invisible to the school system, but now, he can wave his 'degree' and officially display his qualifications and presto chango, doors are opening. Need an education assistant? I don't know, they are a difficult resource to get, it may not be necessary and....whats that? Oh you have an official diagnosis? well come on in, lets just get that assistant set up for you then...
For nearly 4 years we have been privileged to be the parents of this remarkable sweet, intelligent and funny little boy.
Autism is a lifelong affliction, but it doesn't have to be a life sentence. It has been 2 years since our first referral and finally we are changing the direction of our journey. It's been an uphill journey so far, with many obstacles but now, with our fancy officialdom we start on a new path - the path of coping, helping, and having the opportunities to make our son's future as bright as possible. I think that's what we all want for our kids,
And I think his future is pretty bright.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

19 comments:
Good for you. I feel the same way about the diagnosis. Let it open the doors. I know the real Conor. :-)
I love your attitude Jenn! And you are right... I've never met your son, but from the stories you tell he's one special kid. His future is VERY bright! :)
Matthew is SUCH a wonderful boy. I'm so happy to hear that he'll be getting the attention he deserves. I have NO doubt that he'll thrive into a wonderful man... and you know my family has a long history of sisters from one family marrying brothers from another family ;)
Hugs
Julie
I often think that Austismland is a lot like Lake Wobegon - all the women are stong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average. Glad to be part of your welcome wagon!
Hi Jenn,
Matthew will be just fine. He is a very clever little guy and his star will shine brightly. We love him just the way he is.Love your attitude too. You'll help him to accept himself and that will go a long way to make his future bright.
LYM
Wow,hard to follow Mom :) She said it all so well.
Got it all crossed that you get a really good EA!!
Hugs!!
~Lisa~
Jenn you are an awesome mom and an awesome advocate for those boys! He is going to have a bright future because you will help make it so. Congratulations!
You are right, Jenn. The label doesn't change who he is, but it does open more doors for him. Hurray that you have such a positive attitude. I am looking forward to Matthew's future, hey I'm looking forward to the future of all three of your beautiful boys.
Jenn,
Congrats on the official diagnosis. I love your attitude about it all. That's great that doors are opening up now. Best of luck to you all!
Matthew is a wonderfully bright little boy and a joy to have around. He's very lucky to have such wonderful parents as you and Chris are.
Kim
Well, you're in good company. I work for a big suburban school district and we have seen our autism rate go up 200% in the last 5 years. No exageration. Many of our kids do great!
That boy better wear shades, coz his future's so bright!!!
He is so lucky to have such loving parents, especialy a mom with such a great attitude!!! And, although it has taken some precious time, I'm glad that he will finally be getting some of the help & support he needs.
Can't wait to meet him!!!!
Matthew is such a special little guy! You are the best Mommy:) His future sure is bright!
When I was born and people would tell my mother that it must be hard to have a "special needs" baby she would smile and say "God trusts me enough to give me one of His special ones". Your children were forever blessed the day they were born and saw the faces of their parents who love them with an unconditional and overwhelming love.
Very bright indeed. I scrolled down-- what gorgeous little guys. You're blessed!
Oh Jenn, I'm sure his future is very bright! I'm glad you'll have some support now and some more knowledge of how to best help him along.
It is hard to follow everyone here. :)
However, you are a great Mom Jenn. To see what others didn't and to make sure he was tested. I too believe he will do well in life. :)
Jenn...we are going to have our eldest tested for Asperger's. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I hope we can turn his future around before kindergarden.
Thanks...
You know what? Isaacs diagnosis is the best thing that could have happened. He has been at school for 6 months, he has a classroom assistant and he IS READING! He is even reading out loud to teachers!! He's fabulous, he is doing P.E he is playing and he is HAPPY!!! That paper makes it all happen, the best thing that his teacher said was " we don't want a diagnosis so that he can be different, we want it so that he gets so much help he is right there in the middle of everything" that has so been what has happened. I hope Matthew gets exactly the same!
Post a Comment