Friday, February 27, 2009

Today.

Today is Andrew's birthday. He would have been 9.
Seems weird to think of myself with a 9 yr old.
I don't feel old enough to have a 9 yr old, but I am.
I'm in my late 30's now - and have big kids, not babies.

Today I remember my son - but I am no longer crying. Maybe a little misty.
It has taken 9 years, but I'm in a good place.
I have 3 wonderful boys who are a blessing to me in more ways than I can possibly imagine.
They bring out the best in me (and sometimes the loudest part of me).
I have a husband who loves me, and friends who support me, make me laugh and give me strength and inspiration.

Today I don't dwell on the past and what could have been
But I remember the past - and what it has done to shape me into what I am.
I no longer actively mourn, but remember with sadness a life that I held for too short a time.

Today I rejoice - that I have stored up for myself treasures in Heaven - and that the greatest one of all is there. safe.

Today I take comfort in knowing that I have gained far more than I have lost.
I am thankful for so much.

Today I am reminding myself that others hurt too. Others have lost, and others have cried and others understand that the greatest fear in losing someone is that they will be forgotten. And so we remember the significant days, not for pity or attention - but simply to not forget, as our lives go on.
For me, that is today.

15 comments:

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Happy Birthday Andrew.
I love you Jenn.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday sweet angel. That angel and your earth angels have one amazing mom.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Andrew. Hugs.

Angela said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt post. Happy birthday, Andrew.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, angel Andrew. What a gorgeous tribute to your firstborn, Jenn. Big ((Hugs)), I love you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Andrew. Hugs to you Jenn!

Tired Mom of Six said...

I love you. Hugs & happy birthday to your first born. xoxo

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday Andrew & Mommy.

I love you my friend.

Colleen said...

Happy Birthday dear sweet Andrew.

Love you Jenn!

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday sweet sweet Andrew.

I love you!

Sara P. said...

I am so sorry to be a day late in sending your sweet Andrew his birthday wishes, as well as sending much love to my amazing friend. Love you and I am glad that yesterday, though bittersweet for sure, was an okay day. XOXO

The other me said...

Oh Jenn, you know how to say it so we all feel what you feel.
Happy birthday Andrew( I know, I am late as always!)
Love you my friend x

Leah said...

Jenn, I never knew this about your life and your family. Hugs and peace to you.

Tara (Nerdgirlmom) said...

You wrote that beautifully Jenn! Happy Birthday Andrew!

rachel said...

Sorry I am so late in seeing this. Happy Birthday, Andrew. You truly are a treasure stored up in heaven for your wonderful family. Your mom is a treasure to me.

I love you, Jenn!