So last night we had a girls night out South Western Ontario - A group of friends - who had originally met online, and now we get together every once in a while because we need to laugh and make memories and enjoy good food - and that's exactly what we did!
Oh there were hiccups along the way
One friend had to cancel sick
One nearly didn't make it due to a malfunctioning car key (ok, she locked it in the car, so really it worked fine, just not without someone holding it.)
We met at one of our friends homes, and her husband and his buddy cooked for US - they made a fantastic Thai dinner complete with homemade dessert. It helps that he's a chef :)
Well I tell you, after eating and drinking wine, and giggling and taking pictures and just chatting on into the evening - we finally called it a night, with a 2+ hour drive ahead of us back home.
And here's where the tale of Leadfoot Lucy comes in.
I will fully admit to leaning a little heavy on the gas pedal at times (Those times being when I am driving).
More often than not - I have the kids in the back keep their eagle eyes on the speedometer and being kind enough to tell me with great delight when I am speeding and so obviously "breaking the law"!!
I used to be much worse - and have gotten a few speeding tickets in my life - but since having kids, I have admittedly slowed down (in more ways than one) and when I have precious cargo besides myself in the car - I am much more conscious of not being quite so heavy a leadfoot as I have been in the past.
I haven't had a ticket in about 11 years or so* (ticket tangent alert)
* I did get a ticket whilst on my way speeding to the hospital - in labour - with Joey.
Just to set up this scene - I have to tell you that my kids ALWAYS come early - I have a condition that requires surgery (a cervical stitch) when pregnant so that I don't deliver prematurely, and when it is removed @ 36 weeks - I dialate within a day and deliver within a week. With Joey I had the stitch removed at 36 weeks and ended up 2 days later in active labour at hospital overnight while they stopped it - because they wanted to make sure he was full term. I should also add that my labour tends to happen earlier and faster with each kid - Matthew was delivered in 8 minutes.
So - While on my way to an OB appt a week later, I suddenly felt the familiar thump of contractions - 2 minutes apart - and fairly significant. Of course I got snagged by a speed trap - and with my belly practically touching the steering wheel, I told the officer that I was indeed on my way to the hospital, and I was in labour - and he being a complete and utter MORON, gave me a ticket and didn't even escort me the rest of the way. Needless to say I was not impressed and although Joey hung on for a few more days - My longest gestation - born in 6 minutes. - I couldn't even contest the ticket because I had a newborn and didn't want to go downtown with him - so I had my friend Charlene be my proxy and contest the ticket for me. A year later it finally came to trial and I gladly traipsed downtown with my now 1 yr old "proof" - and the bailiff laughed at my reasoning and said it should never have made it this far and would be thrown out for sure. The cop didn't even show up, so the ticket was thrown out - but it was the principle of the matter that made me so steamed.
Anyway - back to my regularly scheduled tale.
with 2 hours of travel time - and being mostly highway driving - on a Saturday night - I was going a fair clip. Not too fast mind you - but probably doing around 114 - just enough to not get points if I got pulled over. (For all my US friends - the speed limit is 100 on the highway, and they generally ticket if you are going 15+ over
So I'm talking to Julie, my ever trusty friend and navigational guide that travels so well with me and I have the cruise control set so that we need not worry about my leadfoot - when all of a sudden blaring lights from an SUV behind me move closer and closer until this hemorrhoid of a vehicle is riding so far up my back bumper that it becomes beyond annoying.
I would have moved out of the lane - but as it was Saturday night - traffic was fairly heavy and there wasn't an opportunity to safely move over.
You know all those times you see idiots on the road and you think "Where is a cop when you need one?" - Well we were thinking that.
FInally got to a place where I could move over (remember, I was already doing close to 15 over the limit) and the second I moved over - Mr Hemorrhoid sped past me so fast that we could practically feel the wind in his wake.
That's when I spoke those magical words - "I hope you get a ticket"
Sweet Justice almost never happens instantly - nor do we always get a chance to witness it - so it was such an exceptional treat for us - not 2 minutes later to see those familiar red and blue flashing lights of the OPP on the side of the road. Since I was *barely* going over - I knew they wouldn't be interested in little ol' me in my nothing little Honda - so as we sailed past we gleefully noticed that Hemorrhoid SUV had been pulled over and was getting himself a big fat ticket (considering how fast we KNEW he was going - I'll estimate he got the $295 one - complete with 3 points)
Ah sweet highway justice - How I love thee.
Our enjoyable evening was capped off by sweet justice and of course - right after that, one of the best songs of the 80's came on the Sirius Satellite - Take On Me - by Aha!!
Doesn't really get any better than that - as we sailed past the idiot driver, bopping our heads, and singing "Take On Me" at the top of our lungs....
Then of course Blondie's Heart of Glass came on, and really, I defy anyone to tell me the lyrics to that song without looking them up - If you know more than "....and it was a blast....soon found out, it was a heart of glass" - then you should be working for the FBI encryption department because seriously, that song sounds like Charlie Brown's Teacher on speed.
Wah wah wah wah wah wah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Love is so amusing when there's peace of...
Riding high I'm goin thru a jewish life...
Mutual mistrust...
Would you mistrust my small behind?...
Once I had a love and it was a blast. So...
fart of gas..
Where do I get my FBI badge?
Love you!!!
Bwaaahaaahaa I love sweet justice like that!
I actually had that happen about 2 years ago on the way to our annual shopping trip to North Conway. I was driving my MIL's car and doing a "fair clip" when a big ol' truck got right on my arse. I no sooner pulled over for the speed demon to pass when he (or she) flew past a Statie sittin' on the side of the road! We laughed and laughed and laughed because honestly, that kind of stuff doesn't happen enough.
Of course, then we arrived in No. Conway and forgot all about it. Tax free shopping, how I love thee.... <3
Oooh-ooh-ooh-wa-oh!
And, uh, "seemed like the real thing....zub zub zub oh...doo-bi-dah-dah...and something behind..." and then "...it's just - no good - you ajdisgoidhsgjnk..."
That's about all I got for ya. :)
And I'm oh so totally jealous that you got to witness such sweet justice. We had a moment like that, sort of. Except the "justice" was when the lovely Lexus tried to change lanes and rubbed someone in the blind spot. A little freakier because of the whole high speed accident thing.
Once had a love and it was a gas, soon found out, had a heart of glass.
Seemed like the real thing ( da da de da da can't remember that line!)Put your mistrust not far behind
Once had a love and it was divine,
Yes, you're right what the hell WAS she singing? How funny that even though I am not sure of the words I can still sing along at the top of my voice when it comes on the radio!
What sweet justice and even sweeter that you were able to witness it so swiftly.
It was so beautiful! I still tear up when I think of it. Beautiful!
LOL!! I love it!!
I wonder if it was the same one I passed... except I was probably ahead of you guys.
There were three OPP surounding an SUV, and another one on the other side of the road. It made me feel comfortable enough to drivce a little faster, knowing that all the cops were rather busy at the moment :)
"you down with OPP? Yeah, you know me!"
Sounds like a pretty sweet night all around! I love it when the soundtrack fits :)
Glad justice was served!!
Post a Comment