So we bought a new Mattress - It's been 9 years since we bought a new mattress and it was time for an upgrade.
This time we decided to do it in style - and by IT, I totally mean buy a new mattress. A king size mattress, and not just any king size mattress but the super duper Rolls Royce of King Size Mattresses. The TrueForm©.
It sounds comfortable doesn't it?
TrueForm. The only true form. Buy this mattress because anything else will leave you disappointed. We tried it out at the mattress store, which is an adventure in and of itself.
Imagine a whole store with wall to wall beds.
Now imagine three little boys set loose in the store.
Yes - they played tag on the beds - running and jumping from bed to bed - it didn't matter if they became airborne - no matter where they landed it was a soft bouncy cushy mattress.
I wonder if that's why we got such a good deal - I mean, it was half price - but maybe that was just their way of bribing us to please buy it and remove our children from the store.
So we bought it - and handed over our first born for it.....but they wanted a credit card instead - so hoooray for plastic and Sorry D - you're stuck with this mean mommy who makes you eat something other than cookies for dinner and makes cleaning your room once a week a requirement.
Delivery was slated to come in 2 weeks.
***********************************************
2 Weeks later. Delivery Day. As stated on our bill of sale which we had somehow misplaced, but nevertheless we had seen it in writing that the mattress was to be delivered on a particular Saturday.
We had promised our old bed to Duncan, who had been ousted from his crib when the youngest git arrived, and thrust into a *big boy bed* so that the younger two could have the cribs. It was a single bed - new and exciting when you are 3, however 4 years on a cheap mattress that came with the bed and he was ready for something decidedly higher up on the bed chain. (which is like the food chain, except with beds)
So on delivery day, we packed up Duncan's old single bed, and moved it into Joey's room - converting his bed into the original bunk bed configuration it was originally supposed to be.
Cleaned Duncan's room - Even vacuumed, and moved our queen size bed into his room. How exciting for him. Delivery day meant HE go his new bed.
We were not that fortunate though.
Having waited all day and on the verge of leaving to do multiple birthday celebrations at the inlaws - I decided to call just one more time to see when delivery would be. I was going to wait for it while the hubster took the kids and went to the birthday dinner but when I finally got through to Peter - the salesguy, he said "Oh, didn't anyone call you this morning?"
4pm on delivery day is not a good time to ask a lame question like that. Obviously not, or I wouldn't be harrassing you all day now would I? Turns out the mattress had only JUST been delivered to the warehouse the night before and didn't "make it onto the truck, so you got bumped"
"I'm not happy Peter - because I'm sleeping on the floor tonight now"
"Oh no!"
"Oh yes - we've moved our old bed out to make way for the new one, which was to be delivered TODAY. Do you deliver on Sundays?"
"Oh yes, and I can assure you that it will be delivered to you tomorrow"
"Fine - we'll receive it tomorrow"
Now It may look like I was pleasant enough on the phone, but I can assure you that my stony silent eerily calm demeanor was enough to scare poor Peter into getting my mattress delivered, lest I hunt him down and hurt him in the middle of the night - after all - why should I bother sleeping......WITHOUT A BED???
**************************************************************
Sunday - Delivery day #2.
9:00am: "Hi, it's Peter from The Brick Mattress Store - Seems they are having a limited number of trucks so your mattress will be delivered Tuesday"
*stunned silence*
Angry husband: "You said it was going to be delivered today"
Peter 'about to get his head ripped off' the salesguy: "We couldn't get it on the truck, so it's been bumped"
Me in the background "Bumped?? BUMPED??? we've already been bumped - get my mattress here before I show you bumped with my foot in your rear end!" *
*Note - I did not really say that to Peter - but I was thinking it - and I'm pretty sure THAT message came through loud and clear when the hubster told him that we would rent a truck and go pick up the darn mattress from the warehouse (about 1 hr away). Oddly enough, Peter was ok with that - until we demanded that we would of course need compensation for our expenses - and $200 sounded fair.
Poor Peter: "Let me get back to you - I'm going to try again and see if we can get it out - give me a few hours"
12:00 noon
Peter : "I'm still working on it - I think we can maybe get it out today, but I'm not sure"
me: "Perhaps the fact that you will have to issue me a cheque for at least $200 will help the mattress get on a delivery truck"
Peter: "Let me call you back in half an hour.
12:30pm
Peter - "Ok, I think it's on now - It should be arriving between 6-9pm tonight.
me: "Good"
6:10pm - Our Mattress arrived.
2 big strong guys unwrapped it - carried the boxsprings and mattress (which is HEAVY) upstairs and put it into place and removed all the packaging and took it with them.
Seems that the threat of having to pay out seems to magically get large mattresses onto a delivery truck rather effortlessly.
Seee - Not much of a saga, but I don't think we would have really lasted more than 1 night without a bed.
The big boys slept in the old bed - in Duncan's room. The hubster made himself comfy on the couch - and I took Matthew's (relatively brand new and very comfortable) single bed.
But we told Peter we had to sleep on the floor. A little white lie to help ease that mattress onto a truck just that much earlier.
In the end - there was only the basic "Sorry you got bumped" for the initial delay. Not sure why after they had already bumped us a day, they felt it was reasonably to bump us for 2 more days.
Hey, we already bumped them - why not just tell them it'll take another week.
and yet - my clever mind tricks must have worked - And by mind tricks I mean that in my mind I was pretending to hurl bricks at them, and to continue to hurl another brick for every delay. They don't like imaginary brick clobbering it seeems - so there!
The bed is awesome by the way. It's one of those- 'She can built a pyramid of wine glasses and jump on the bed without them falling down.' deals. I'm a tosser and a turner usually - but hubby can't feel me turning and his turning doesn't wake me up either - it's totally totally so comfortable. At least once we move all those glasses off the bed....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
So THAT's what we did wrong! *note to self.. remove glasses!
So glad you're enjoying your new luxury! You totally deserve it after all that!
the extra room is nice too; an amazing difference from a queen size.
yay!
You should of threatened them with bringing all 3 boys down to the store and have them jump on every mattress until yours was delivered!
A wise women once said "nagging does work" ;)
So did you have to get a new frame to go with your new mattress? Is it a fancy one, or just rails???? I remember how exciting it was to go from Full to Queen!! WoooHooo hurray for you! now go take a nap!
imagine throwing bricks at THE BRICK!!! I love it!
Post a Comment