Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 2

So Joey had his 2nd day of kindergarten yesterday. Maybe I should rename this blog "Joey goes to Kindergarten".

After his disastrous first day, I had high hopes for day 2 - especially since he seemed to have forgotten about the fire drill (he hadn't really, it just *seemed* that way)
He was quite content to let me drop him off again, and although he had no clue where he was supposed to stand in line, they eventually shepherded him into the right spot.

I came to pick him up for lunch and what should I see in front of the school but a big fat red fire engine.

crap.

I am hoping desperately that there wasn't another fire drill or worse that someone has pulled the alarm.

It seemed to take forever for him to come out - The teacher met me outside

"Was there another fire drill? " I asked

"No" she replied, "It's fire safety week, but no drills or alarms - He had a meltdown due to......." I stopped listening because it could have been anything really - the wrong colour chair, a loud kid, an inability to transition from one activity to another....he has meltdowns frequently, and I'm sure the school will learn as I have what triggers them and how to avoid them.

It seems that there are a few problem kids in his class - not children with special needs - just children that have not been disciplined very well for 4 years and so the teacher is having quite a time. Thankfully, Joey seems to be fine in the behaviour department, aside from the occasional meltdowns. His EA wants to take him home, and his teacher says "get in line" because she loves him too. Apparently they get quite a kick out of his little quirks. His teacher told me she met with some of the other kids parents and she understands why they are having problems, because the parents don't seem to do anything about the misbehaviour - even in the presence of the teacher.

I'm a little worried about that - since we've been so fortunate in the past. Both the other boys had this same teacher for Kindergarten, so I've been one of 'her parents' for the past 3 years (this is my 4th year) and likely Joey will have her again next year - so I'll have spent 5 years with her - We get along great.
Duncan's class was wonderful in kindergarten; Matthew's too - I got to know the parents and the kids were all so terrific. I'd volunteered for class trips, and truly, there were never any serious behavioural problems with those classes.

To know now that there might be 1 or even 2 kids that are serious problems scares me a little bit, solely for the effect they will have on Joey. He is so easily influenced, and repeats absolutely everything. At Walmart today he kept saying "Go to number 4 - go to number 3" - There is a single express lane with 6 checkouts, and an automatic voice that tells the next person in line which checkout to go to. Joey repeated that line for nearly the whole hour we were there, and I bought more than 12 items so I didn't even get to use the express checkout - had to go to the ONE checkout that was non- express and wait for the lady ahead of me and her 3 items - who could have used the express checkout - there was no lineup - but she chose to use the one checkout available to the people with more than 12 items - GAH, inconsiderateness abounds!! I had to bite my bottom lip to keep from laughing as Joey kept saying "Go to Number 5" - Too bad she didn't listen to him! But that's just one example of how he can perseverate - and if in the company of kids in his class who are acting up - he will copy them.

I know that my next door neighbour is a bit of a problem kid. Luckily, Matthew (who is the same age) was not ever in his class, and again they have separate teachers - which I plan to request again next year. Not that the boy next door is so bad (well he sort of is) but because Matthew is actually a pretty good kid, and for the most part doesn't get into trouble EXCEPT when he's with this kid.
I don't have a problem with him playing with anyone else - but this one kid brings out the absolute worst in Matthew, and they adore each other, which makes it hard to say "no, you can't play with him". I do however put my foot down about letting him come over and playing inside. Nope - not going to happen.

I really like my neighbours - and their other kids are fine - but this one child of theirs frightens me because if he is this bad at 6, what will he be like in 10 years? I can only hope that my kids choose their friends wisely (as it seems they have at school chosen well mannered school chums who are have similar interests and are not hell bent on destroying everything in their path like the neighbour kid).

Well that's enough random blathering on for today.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew found someone stinky eh? That stinky neighbor still? Dude, I just had a similar issue with a friend of Aidan. Terrible. Not a real great thing for us as moms.

I am so glad that the teachers are in love with Joey but honestly not surprised. Just look at that gorgeous little face. I hope that trouble makers can take it down a notch. Joey looks like he is doing well though and with the cheering crowd he has at school and all around him hopefully he feels that awesome support. We love our Joey!!!

Michelle-Ann said...

I bet you were ready to crap a brick when you saw the fire engine...who would have thought???

I agree with G, his little face it soooo precious, how could one not fall in love with him quickly?

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

I'm glad day 2 went a bit better. I hear you on the annoying neighbour though mine's not bad he's just annoying.. and rings my bell... when I don't want to go outside... and Sarah can't go out without Chloe so I have to go out if they go out and I don't wanna!!!!