
Sometimes, I can't help but just stare at this boy and wonder in amazement how we managed to create something so beautiful.
Yes we have received another dreaded "A" diagnosis.
No it doesn't change anything - He's still the same sweet Joey he has always been.
Yes in the back of my mind I had a spot reserved for "What if" so it wasn't that much of a surprise.
Still feels like someone took a hammer and thunked my toe though. I saw it coming. I was prepared for it. It still hurts.
His report from March with the speech pathologist said "severe language delay" although his vocabulary was age appropriate.
According to the developmental paediatrician however, his speech is not typical of a language delay. She said that kids who are delayed with speech tend to use the words that they do have. Joey has lots of words - but does not use them appropriately.
He echoes quite a bit, but does not use words that he has to generate new speech. He also has pronoun confusion, and identity problems.
We will be having all the boys tested now for something called "Fragile X syndrome" - which the doctor is almost 100% sure will be negative in all 3 boys, but is more of a formality to rule it out, as well as getting iron levels tested (not sure why of that though).

20 comments:
Bummer. I am waiting for that shoe to drop with Owen too. I am with you in the "not surprised but still not pleased" category. Are they calling it classic ASD? Or HF?
Too bad we don't live closer to each other. I'd love to get to meet those adorable boys you've got there. =]
I'm so sorry. I love Joey and You and all your family to bits and these labels can't even come close to touching the depth of those feelings but I know it hurts and I'm so sorry for that.
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}
Oh Jenn, I'm sorry. Your description of a hammer coming for your big toe was pretty brilliant - you know it is coming but it still hurts like nothing else. I just want to give you a big HUG!! Wish I could. I love you, Jenn. And I love your beautiful family. Joey is simply adorable and the sweetest little boy I've EVER met in my life. Labels don't change that.
God had a special job in mind for you when he gave you those 3 boys. Nobody on the planet could do it better than YOU. You ROCK.
I am so sorry Jenn. I love your outlook on it - He is still the same sweet Joey (that is a really great pic of him) You are a wonderful Mom with such a beautiful family!!
((HUGS))
I'm so sorry, Jenn. Joey is an amazing boy and you are an incredible mother. I know you are hurting and I wish I could just give you a big hug. We are here for you..always. ((hugs))
((Hugs)) Jenn. I'm so sorry that you are having all of these 'labels' thrown at you. You are 100% right though. He is the same sweet boy he was yesterday. I will pray for you that the testing results are all negative.
Jenn,
Only the schools need a label for some bizarre reason, and personally I don't think there really is one for our complicated kids - each of them are unique in their own way. I know you have the strength & determination to provide what your boys need in order for them to grow into healthy, well-adjusted adults.
Take Care,
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Hey Jenn...What everyone else has said is completely true! You & Joey are beautiful, you are a wonderfull mother & he is a sweet boy! Sorry you are hurting today...GREAT BIG HUGS!!!!!
Hi Jenn...everyone has said what I'm thinking - your boys are beautiful and loving, and couldn't have asked for a better mother. Joey is an absolute doll and will thrive in his life, especially with parents like you and Chris behind him.
You're a strong person,and I'm sorry you're hurting :(
Big hugs to you Jenn...
Sheila
Oh Jenn. I'm so sorry. I know how much hope you had that Joey wouldn't get the same diagnosis. I guess, if it helps, the good news is that it was caught so young, and more importantly, that he has you and Chris as parents. And He'll always be the delightful Joey we all know and love :)
If there is ANYTHING that I can do??? Information you need, or contacts, or just a sympathetic ear...please, don't hesitate okay?
I'm so sorry.
Lisa
Oh Jenn...
I am sending big hugs your way. I know that the formality of the diagnosis doesn't change who Joey is at all or how all who love him feel about him, but that doesn't take away that hurt in your heart.
Your boys are lucky to have such fantastic parents... and it doesn't hurt that they are wonderfully handsome either! :O)
Sara
Oh Jenn,
I feel exhausted reading your blog. Sometimes when you want to just crawl into a hole and shut out the world... I know it seems so Huge now, but time has a way of softening the blow. I love you and my three boys so much! Can hardly wait to see you!
LYM,
Auntie Janice
well-now he will get the services he needs for school. he is still the same sweet boy you love-it would be worse with no label and struggling.
Ahh Sweetie! I'm so sorry you two are having to deal with this news, again! I can't add much more to what everyone else has already said. I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you! If there is anything I can do, PLEASE let me know!
Big Hugs and give those precious lil boys a hug from me! :)
GOD BLESS
Susie
(I can't get in to my blogger! :( I don't know what to do so for now, I am Anonymous!)
So sorry hun, you have the best outlook on life and you and your children have the best environment for each other.
(((HUGS)))
Oh Jenn, I don't have any words -- all three of your boys are beautiful.
Jen I am sorry that you are going through it. I hope I don't offend you or that it doesn't sound patronizing to you...what I am about to say but it is truly on my heart. When I spoke to my mother later about having to watch me go throgh 10+ surgeries and being told for the first two that it was not likely I'd make it off the table how she dealt with it. She said she felt like God had given her a child like that b/c He had faith she could do this. Your boys are gorgeous, beautiful, amazing souls, and I think they were given to you b/c you were the woman strong enough, amazing enough, and compassionate enough to truly mother these gorgeous boys. He knew that although they would have needs that others may not he know they would have a mother who was strong enough and amazing enough to take care of them as they need to. Special angels from the Lord to a special mom and dad. I know that doesn't take away the hurt but I just felt it on my heart and wanted to tell you that. Love you friend.
(((Big Hugs))) Jenn.
You know what I think about all your boys and this diagnosis.....splendid boys in every way!
The pictures are, as always amazing!
Hi, I just found your blog. I totally understand how you feel but I am still dealing with my son's diagnosis. It is hard.
Post a Comment