Sunday, March 04, 2007

Names, therapy and almost 3!

My 5 yr old called his brother "a miscreant" the other day.

I'm not sure where he heard it, but he used it correctly - Matthew was being a collossal pest and pushing his brother's buttons to the point where he just blurted out "Stop doing that you, you, you Miscreant!!"

I'm finding more and more that the kids are learning stuff at school - stuff that I know I'm not teaching them.
I have mixed feelings about that.

Matthew has therapy sessions every Thursday - He seems to be doing well at school, with more good days than bad and yet he seems to be getting worse at home. He's been very physical lately - wiggling his fingers in our faces, licking stuff and leaning hard on his brothers, and on me when I'm trying to work - it's like his sensory issues are getting worse as his behaviour in other areas improves. We are now on the waiting list for a sensory integration clinic - it's an 8 month wait, but I'm hoping that once we get in we can find some way to get those physical behaviours more controlled. Socially, he seems to be improving - his therapy sessions consist of social behaviour, so he may not come by it naturally, but he can learn appropriate social behaviour, and he does seem to be improving in those area - better eye contact and responding to questions. He still has no interest in asking questions of other people that do not pertain to things he is interested in, but then again, we have to remember that he's 4 and most 4 yr olds are somewhat self centred anyway.

Matthew says things that I just find funny. He told me that he had to take his coat off right away because it was all "Licky".
I managed to figure that one out by undoing it and finding the front where his hood buttons up in front of his face to be soaking wet - this because he licks anything in front of his face - including his coat - making it "licky' of course.

Joey is almost 3. We have not begun potty training - we've got the kit already (i.e. a giant bag of smarties) but there's no interest on his part on sitting on the potty, just eating the smarties.
His speech is improving rapidly though. Last year his speech was assessed at 6 mos, and next week we will get him reassessed and hopefully he'll be up to the 2 yr mark at least. he's still a man of few words - but occasionally he will surprise us and blurt out a phrase or a sentence that sounds like garbled speech with enough recognizeable words that the garbled part can be figured out. Something like "Ick ba da ba la mo be chockat milk - DRINK"
His newest phrase is when I get him out of the crib, and he yells "good MORNING" - Funny though, when Chris gets him up, all he says is "Pee-eww stinky" - hahahahahaha - that's the difference between mummy and daddy - Mummy can ignore the smell long enough to say good morning :)
At least he doesn't call daddy a miscreant.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenn, your kids are so adorable!! And I bet they've grown heaps since I saw them, I can't believe Joey is almost 3! Wow! I'm sure he'll become interesting in the potty soon enough. Ethan wasn't that keen on it until 3 years 4 months. Mind you, perhaps Joey will be keen sooner than that if he realises that there are chocolate rewards involved ... ;-)

MamaTink said...

Does Matthew like to Swing Jenn?? Only little guy that I worked with LOVED to swing, so his parents intalled a swing from the rafters in their basement. They had different kids of swings for him too...one was this hammock type thingy, where L would climb in, pull his feet in and be completely enclosed. He LOVED being swung in that over and over again. It might help Matthew. Sounds to me like he needs some OT. When you find he's leaning on you, it might help to pick him up and toss him onto the couch a few times.

Good Luck with him!

I can NOT believe that Joey is going to be 3!! How the heck did that happen!? Awesome about the speech!!!

LMAO...Miscreant. Duncan is brilliant :)

You are doing an amazing job with all of your boys Jenn. Be proud.

~Lisa~

Ravenbajan said...

It never fails to surprise hearing new words come out of their mouths does it? Jordyn catches me off guard with some word or another almost every week now. I do wish however that some words could.. um.. be left at school so to speak!

Anonymous said...

Love those gems they come up with (like miscreant!). Sounds like Matthew is making some progress in the sensory & social dept. Good luck with potty training Mr Joseph - he won't be wearing diapers to college!

Check out my webpage for the annual ski trip pics loaded on there courtesy of Dh & his trusty Mac!

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

The other me said...

I so love your boys! I get such a kick out of little kids and big words!
I washed the Jacket for Joey...it is actually 18-24 months but still fits Eli at 3 1/2..if it doesn't fit the glorious Joey...send it on to a littler person. I am sure it will fit though!

Julie Q said...

My Amanda went through a licking stage. I wish I had had more patience with her when she did. I think with her it was a nervous thing.

You really are a great Mom Jenn. I admire you for all you do for your boys.

Joey sounds like he is doing great! 3 already, so hard to believe.

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel mixed feelings about them learning things elsewhere. Sure, Leah is a bit young to be calling people miscreants, but she learned how to count to 14 from Elmo, not mommy and though I was happy, I was a bit upset that I hadn't taught it to her. And I shared your bank store with my sister the other day. She couldn't believe they made him sign either!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn,

Miscreant? Where in the world did he hear THAT word?

LYM,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the whole post yet, just the miscreant party...but I seem to remember hearing it in Monsters, Inc. If that movie plays half as often at your house as it does as mine, that'd be where Duncan picked it up! Gotta love it when they use big words in appropriate context though!

Jackie (benjackand2)