We had Joey in for a speech review today.
I was positive that he was making huge strides in his language, both receptive and expressive, and wasn't quite prepared for the results. He's still more than a year behind in his receptive language skills.
They estimate him to be approx 21 months for receptive language. (comprehension)
Expressive language we knew would be lower since he doesn't really talk, but his vocabulary appears to be age appropriate - go figure.
He'll be 3 in just 6 more weeks!
We've scheduled him for speech therapy beginning in April.
Why oh why can't I have kids that just develop normally on track and have no problems!
I am beyond frustrated today. Trying to stay positive and think "Hey, he's made a lot of progress in the last year"
Deep in my heart I'm starting to worry about him - I never really did before - but now I am.
I am afraid that they will tell me he is on the spectrum, and I don't know if I can handle another autistic child.
I rarely use this blog to complain like this - but today I just can't help it. Sorry - no funnies today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Oh Jenn, I know just how you feel. Eli is my one and only child without some kind of special needs. SOmetimes that has been like the end of the world, othertimes I tell myself I must be superspecial to have been given them.
You know what though, even if someone tells you Joey has some kind of 'something' you will cope, he will still be Joey. It is all so exhausting, physically and emotionally. You'll do it though and anyway...no-one has said anything yet, he could just be a strong and silent type, my dad didn't say a word til he was 4! I cannot believe Joey is nearly THREE!
If it helps, I can relate my brother's experience. His language was late compared to me and books, the doctor asked if Brad understood and he did, so the doc recommended that if he still had no words by 3 come back. Apparently the baby in families often also have late language development because parents know what they want and siblings do to, therefore there is not as much frustration to communicate as the eldest child needs to do, while both parent and child are learning what is needed.
Jenn, I'm so sorry. I have NO IDEA how you feel because I haven't been there before. I can only imagine that you're feeling "why me?" right now and with very good reason!! If it helps at all, please know that I think all 3 of your boys are lovely, and you are a great mother! There is no reason to suspect Joey may be autistic, or even on the spectrum. So don't go there unless you have to. Just focus on his abilities and the things he is good at - making people smile, for one thing! The kid is just SO happy! I've never met a happier and more contended child in my life. I never heard him cry or grizzle in my 3 days with you. SOOOO unlike my own 2.5-year-old! He's a doll, Jenn.
You are allowed to feel disappointed and frustrated about this. So let yourself be that way and then you can move on. Because I KNOW you will and you won't let this get you. But have some time to let your emotions do/say what they need to - shout at God, question life, get angry and break something, cry in the shower ... whatever you need to do to let it out.
I love you, and I will pray for you and your precious boy. He's a gift from above, don't forget that. ((((HUGS))))) my friend, I wish I could give you a real one but these are just as genuine. xox
Oh, and I have to say that my friend Phil who is a real-life genius (massive IQ, dux of the school, first class honours at Unversity, etc) didn't say a SINGLE WORD until he was 3 years old. His mother was beyond worried (and she is a school teacher) but he was just a slow starter ... and made up for it BIG time later on!
you know the answer-you do not have to have anyone tell you if he is or is not . your instinct will tell you-whether or not he is ok or needs intervention. AT least you know enough to have him evaluated. If you had never had this experience with you other son you might have just let it go. Time is of the essence. you are doing good!
My Hanna didn't really talk until after 3 Jenn. Maybe he's just taking his time. And yes, he's made a lot of progress in the past year. :)
You do know him best. Thinking positive is a good thing to do. And blogging out fears/frustrations is also a good thing to do.
So hard to believe your baby will be 3 so soon!
Jenn, I feel your pain. Just got back from another parent teacher interview & the consensus was that if we want Courtney to stay in her intensive speech program, then we have to fight to keep her there. GRRR - I spent 4 mos leaving a paper trail just to get her there in the first place! Our kids are very complex, no doubt about it. But that's also what makes them who they are. I also believe that things happen for a reason, so hang in there!
Shauna (murgatr)
dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02
Hey woman, hang in there! You are the perfect Mom for these three sweet boys. I'm praying for you.
Hug,
H
Oh Jenn.. I'm sorry I haven't been the shoulder to cry on and didn't recognize the depths of your fears. If you need to talk (without me saying a word I promise) I'm there.
I know that you'll all get through this because in the end what choice do we have right? but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck and that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt and isn't scary.
I love you and your family so much. Anything I can do...
Hugs
Julie
Post a Comment