Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Autism Awareness

I just made this as my signature for another site I am regularly posting on.





It has been well received (despite taking a minute to load) and I've had plenty of comments from other parents who are happy to see autism awareness being promoted.

It's amazing how many people have only Rainman as their knowledge base on the subject.

There have been plenty of people who also look at my son and have no idea that he has autism.
"he's doing so well"
"He makes eye contact",
"He seems like a typical 4 yr old"

To which I say "Thankyou".

He's been in therapy since he was 2, and every social response has been learned by rote, with plenty of hard work on everyone's behalf. He is not incapable of being 'normal' - but it will never come naturally to him. There have been many hours working with him, and "practicing" social responses. We still practice. Even something as simple as He/She pronouns are something he often 'forgets' and has to consciously make an effort to use correctly - often looking for affirmation that he is using the correct pronoun.
All this to say that anytime anyone makes a comment about how he doesn't 'seem' autistic, I know that early intervention has made a huge difference in his life - and continues to help him integrate into this world that is foreign and scary at times to him. I am proud of his accomplishments, his efforts and every therapy session we complete where his OT says there has been improvement in a particular area.
He is learning how to operate in our world.
But I am the one who has learned so much more from him.

16 comments:

KC's Blog said...

You are so talented! I love the new sig!

Anonymous said...

The signature is beautiful Jenn, and so are your boys!

Anonymous said...

Jenn

This is beautiful - you are such a special mom. We love you all.

Judy and Rob (G and G)

The other me said...

I LOVE THAT!!!!
The thing I notice about Matthew that I see so much in Isaac too is photos seem to show up so much, sometimes, in fact mostly, I can see absolutely the real boy and sometimes they have that switched off look. I don't see the 'switched off' look in real life with Isaac nearly as much as it shows in his pictures, when I look at pictures I often wonder if that is how other people see him all the time.
Some of Isaac's pictures make me cry he looks so 'not in there'.

Anonymous said...

You rock. Seriously. You just rock. :) You know I love that siggy too!

Anonymous said...

I love your signature, it's beautiful!
Kim

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Jenn! I love it!

Matthew is a wonderful kid, I could figure that after only a few days staying with you. He's SO lucky to have you & Chris as his mom & dad, because you guys really understand him, and you should be really proud of him!!

Anonymous said...

As we all have.. Matthew has so much to teach and share with us.. and so much love to give. Thank you for bringing this wonderful child into our lives.

mom of 2 said...

I love that signature!! I think so many times in life the teacher becomes the student and that is truly a wonderful thing! I think we as parents can learn so much from our children!

Lisa said...

That siggy made me cry. (Damn pregnancy hormones!) Seriously, God gave you those boys for a special reason...because you are a very special mom and woman.

Anonymous said...

HiJenn;
What can I say? Matthew is a beautiful boy in so many ways,as are his brothers.
We LOVE you all so much!
Blessings on you all.
LYM
Mom

Anonymous said...

it it just beautiful!

What a wonderful family he's been brought into!

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends has a young son with Autism, and his story sounds so much like yours. I'm glad to hear of your son's progress and I hope you both have more of the same!

All the best,
Andrew (To Love, Honor, and Dismay)

Anonymous said...

I agree- the signature is gorgeous and so are the boys- you are one talented mom!

Anonymous said...

Love the new signature Jenn!

Just came across an article that you might be interested in - hope you get my email!

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02

Lora said...

Absolutely awesome, you are very talented and a great mom too!