Friday, May 02, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Joey is 4. My baby. Four.
That's much much older than 3 I'll have you know, and he's now a kid, no longer a toddler.
Of course he's a kid in a diaper still, but we're working on that.

I took his picture today to mark the occasion. It was an exercise in frustration, because he won't look at the camera, he looks everywhere except the camera. I gave him a teddy bear to play with and he ended up rolling on the floor and rocking back and forth so fast that every picture had motion blur.

So I had to pull out the clever tactics.
I often do this with Matthew, because he's the same way; he either won't look at the camera, or else he's scrunching up his face, sticking out his tongue and mooning the camera. Honestly, he's such a treat on picture day at school - more than once we've opted for retakes.
I've found the best way is not to ask him to pose, but to have a 'serious' conversation with him, and then in the middle of it just yell "Hey who farted - PEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!" - in which case he'll erupt into a fit of laughter and I capture the real Matthew who is beyond photogenic if I do say so myself. He'd be a great model, except for the fact that he's not cooperative in the least. But physically - it really is hard to take a picture of him where he doesn't look exceedingly gorgeous - and I"m not biased, because his grandma says so too.

Anyway, back in February at my last awesome girls weekend in Boston, I had picked up a paper stand and a roll of seamless paper. I have yet to break it open and try it out - just because life kept getting in the way as it often does. So today I figured I'd break it out - It's really been too long since I got a decent picture of the boys.

Tricked Joey into looking at me, and got this:
Photobucket

And then using my best child psychology tactic and telling Matthew that he absolutely could not sit on my paper and to be very careful because I don't want him to sit "Right here" - he begged and pleaded and so I 'let him' sit right exactly where he'd catch the best light, and lo and behold, yell 'fart' press the button and presto chango - lovely pic of one fine looking boy:
Photobucket

Sometimes it's too easy hahahahahah.
Not often.
But once in a while - I can outwit them.

Duncan is much more difficult because he has the patience of a 2 yr old (which means that at 7 he stays still for about .264 seconds, which is not really long enough for a clear photo). And because he's a little more wise to that child psych crap. Tell him not to pose for a pic and he'll gladly go back to playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii.
I'll have to find a new tactic for him tomorrow...
They get older and wiser - but so do I.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics of two very HANDSOME boys!
LYM,
Mom

Lisa said...

He's FOUR?

When did our babies turn FOUR?

My baby turned that dreaded age (for me!) on May 1 :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joey!! Still as cute as ever! Time flies ... I can't believe my own baby will be 4 in less than 6 months!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous boy's!!

Do you get a diploma for potty training? That was the best line of the day!!

JM SWMBO

Anonymous said...

All three of your boys are absolutely gorgeous!!! :) Happy Birthday Beautiful Joey!

Julie Q said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe Joey is 4 Jenn! He is still so cute! Still has a little bit of baby face. :)

I love your photos Jenn, so lifelike. Like I could just touch them!

Happy Belated Birthday Joey!! :)

rachel said...

I LOVE the pics, Jenn. Gorgeous boys and great photography!

Anonymous said...

How adorable!!

Try farting for real with Duncan. I'm sure that will get him to smile. ;-)

Hugs
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Happy b'day Joey! Thanks for fulfilling my request for cute kid pics Jenn ;)

Shauna (murgatr)

dd 11/22/98
dd 6/27/02