Monday, May 18, 2009

I don't like my hair.

This is my hair hating blog. It's boring so skip it if you want - I'm just venting about my hair.

I don't like my hair. It's dry and frizzy and has been coloured too many times. I don't even know what my *real* colour is anymore - since I've been pretty much altering it since I was 16.
When I was younger I would dye it very dark. A deep dark brown (almost black).
Then I went reddish
Then a black phase.
Then very expensive hairdressing appointment to correct the black phase.
Added a few blonde highlights.
Added some more.
Added a whole lighter blonde colour.
added a blonder shade.
became very very very blonde.
And then, getting tired of having to dye my roots every 3-4 weeks, I just did nothing.

Then it became very apparent that I dye my hair and had stopped abruptly - so I dyed the whole thing back dark.

It has been getting progressively fading and last week I found (gasp) a grey hair.

I promptly ripped that out - so at least I'm back to no grey hairs - although I'm sure I can label that grey hair "DuncanMatthewJoey" in honour of my kids!

So over this winter my hair had been getting more and more unmanageable. I bought new shampoo and new conditioner and slathered them both on for weeks and no change - in fact it was getting worse.
I could not figure out what was going on - my hair has always been traditionally a little more oily than average, so to have this dry flyaway hair that would not cooperate was driving me crazy.
At one point I decided that I was going to put extra conditioner on. I put lots and lots and lots of conditioner on - left it in the recommended 3 minutes and rinsed it out. It took a long time to rinse out, and was not smooth and silky like I had imagined.
I was frustrated and ready to pitch that load of crap Pantene conditioner in the garbage when something caught my eye....

just a few letters on the bottle.....

I. N. G.

ConditionING

Not ConditionER

It was ConditionING - SHAMPOO!!! All sneaky in a bottle that looked suspiciously like their conditioner container.

Yes, I was following my shampoo with yet another shampoo and skipping conditioner entirely for the last 3 weeks - NO WONDER my hair felt like a bale of straw!!

A quick trip to Walmart and a little careful reading let me to purchase REAL conditioner, and as I felt the water rinse it out, and my hair feeling smooth and silky once again I praised the benefits of conditioner and cursed the Pantene people for having 420 products that look similar with only a few variations of letters on the bottle. Too easy to buy the wrong thing.

I still hate my hair - but at least it's soft and manageable again.

Time to go to the hairdresser I think, and splurge on my hair. I don't go that often - maybe once a year. Just don't usually have a block of 3 hours at a time to do stuff like that....

but I think this week or next week I will.

6 comments:

Tired Mom of Six said...

I think hot pink is a nice color - just sayin'. You know it is my natural color. ;)

Yeah, I'm tired of having to read the bottles of hair crap at the store too. Sometimes I just go cheap and buy Suave because you can clearly tell which is the coconut shampoo & which is the coconut conditioner. :)))))

Angela said...

LMBO
I am not a fan of my hair either.
I've never colored it, but it's so darn thick I can't do anything with it. That's why I have to wear it short.

Cathy said...

I like your hair...I like hard wood floors also! ;)

Love you!

*~*Zann*~* said...

Well, I'll tell ya what I just did!

The other week, it was 5pm on Wed, I decided that I wanted to cut my hair. It was to my shoulders. I called our daycare lady, who has hair similar to mine, and asked who did her hair. Thurs, at 10:30 am, I got ahold of the gal. At noon I was sitting in her chair, getting my cut in an a-line with the longest part just below my ears! I LOVE IT!!

Hey, it's just a thought!

Lisa said...

I totally 100% agree with the crapping labeling and such from hair care companies.

I've also decided that cheap, isn't always the best way to go for me. My hair feels like straw then, even with conditioner!

kristi said...

I am always doing something to my hair...conditioner is my friend!