Monday, July 28, 2008

just blithering on...

Summer is halfway over. That's good - because I'm ready for school to start - sort of.
While Im looking forward to sending them to school - and knowing where they are and that they aren't bored, I am kind of enjoying this 'get up when I feel like it' routine and making lunch? what's that? Oh no - if the kids are hungry they grab a quick sandwich and a drink and I don't have to find something that will fit in a 6 x 8" lunchbox without leaking or spoiling or getting too warm or too cold or anything like that.
If they want peanut butter sandwiches - they have 'em. If they want a hot dog, or ravioli or even macaronia and cheese - they can have it.
Most days they've been surviving on apple juice, kool-aid and popsicles - it's hard thirsty work riding bikes all day you know.

So I haven't had to do too much this summer. I'm feeling lazy and rather unmotivated to *do* anything - and that includes blogging - which kind of annoys me - because I like to read my friends blogs. They pretty much write everyday and I get such a kick out of reading about every little thing going on in their lives....and then I check mine, and oh yes, nothing's changed - look Jenn hasn't blogged since the 12th of July - why that's 2 weeks - what a dull sort she must be. or lazy. because funny things happen and I have a little giggle and then because I'm lazy and selfish, I don't bother sharing it - or maybe I think it's only funny to me and it's only a little blurby thing and why would anybody care to read about trivial mundane stuff like that.

I have some really amazing friends. They are thoughtful and considerate, and half the time I feel woefully inadequate because I don't deserve these friends.
These friends are so good at doing little things - writing on your FB wall - remembering little details of your life to ask you about, sending little cards and notes in the mail and then there's me. I love them, but really, I'm starting to get a complex because I just don't think. It does not occur to me to do the things that I see them do on a regular basis, and when hear of all the wonderful things that people do for each other I want to kick myself and say " DUH, why didn't *I* think of that?"
How come I am not naturally thoughtful like they are?
How come I don't think of something to ask them about instead of sitting here acting disinterested?
It doesn't matter how much I tell them that I think they are great - because for some reason, I can't seem to show it.
It makes me angry. At me. I wish I were a better, more considerate, more thoughtful person. But I'm not. How fortunate for me that for some reason they continue to be friends with me.

12 comments:

The other me said...

I feel the same way! I get little messages on my FB page and my heart soars and then I kick myself because I see a message from someone to someone else sending love and best wishes and I wish I had remembered that particular thing.
As for putting things in the mail...I am hopeless, I write them, make cards etc and then they gather dust or get soggy in my bag and never get mailed, or hardly ever, sometimes the seas part and a post office is right in front of me.
I so want to gain the patience so many of our friends have, am such a moddy mare in comparison and so impatient!
I did well today, you think it'll be easier tomorrow?
By the way, I think you are pretty darn perfect just as you are.

Cathy said...

You wish you were better?
Better then the wonderful, loving, caring, witty, sweet, funny friend that I ladore?
Can you do better than all of the above? I think not cause there is no better then Jenn!
I know that I am fortunate to stumble onto BZ and find you and all the other wonderful women!
You, my friend, are superfly and I love you!

Anonymous said...

I love you just the way you are!
LYM
Mom

Anonymous said...

P.S. Enjoy your lazy days of summer!
LYM,
Mom

Sara P. said...

Silly Jenn... the best part of our little gaggle of pals is that no one keeps score. (At least I HOPE that no one is...) :OP

You, my friend, are fabulous as you are...

LFF!

Tired Mom of Six said...

Ummm, are we twins separated at birth? (our summers sound about the same too!)

I couldn't have expressed it any better than that. I too want to send gifts and notes and remember dates. Gah - ask my own family how well I do in that area. (lousy is the answer, btw)

I've been looking for something to send everyone in a pretty notecard, but I can't seem to find anything that fits the bill even though others were right on the ball with theirs.

It makes me angry w/myself too, but I do hope our friends know how much we love & cherish them and how much they really mean to us without the "extras".

Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

You LISTEN to me. You UNDERSTAND me. That's the BEST gift I've ever gotten. EVER. (and you forgive my overuse of CAPS for emphasis LOL)

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how we see ourselves. Often its so very different from how others see you. I have a beautiful wrist right now b/c of a thought you (and two other blessings) had. You are hilarious, an amazing person, an amazing mother, and an inspiration to me. Truly. Nothing you can send or post can top the entireity that is you. It is *we* who are blessed. I don't wonder how people can be friends with you...its so very clear.

rachel said...

Everyone is right, Jenn. You're all we want! We don't keep score, we don't want more than who you are right now.

And who you are right now is pretty fantastic, as far as I'm concerned. We're all lucky to be counted among your friends.

Michelle-Ann said...

I have to agree with everyone else, but also add, I think that is one of the stongest attractions to this group is you can be 100 percent yourself. You don't have to plan a big "showing" of yourself. I have gotten two cards from fellow LFFers, and they were both just sitting there in the mailbox on different days, days where I needed a little hug and right then, when I opened my box, there it was. I think we have to lead with our heart in this big friendship you all have let me join into. Everything that I have seen come out of this group has been geniune.

We love you for you Jenn, not because you blog, or not becuase you post a message, I love you for the humor, kindness, the strength that you display, the reassurance that if I ever were to need anything you would be there, and you hardly know me....Jenn, I love you cause you are Jenn. Perfect Jenn.

I want to be just like Jenn when I grow up!

MamaTink said...

See all that up there?? Ditto :) I think you rock.

The other me said...

Also

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/helenwood45/Boston%2008/BOSTONjune08128.jpg

Nothing makes me laugh more than that! I love you so!!